Luby’s Cheese Enchiladas With Chili Sauce
This recipe is a “most requested” from Luby’s. my family loves it.
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons. garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons.salt
1 teaspoon. pepper
8 cups beef broth or bouillon
2 cans 14 1/2 oz each)whole peeled tomatoes
3 tablespoons. chili powder
1 tablespoon. plus 1 1/2 teaspoons. paprika
1 tablespoon. ground cumin
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup water
16 corn tortillas (6inch)
6 cups (24oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup (4oz) shredded American cheese
- for sauce, in large sausepan or dutch oven, brown ground beef with onions,garlic powder, salt and pepper. drain. Add broth, tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, and cumin. Mix well, breaking up tomatoes with large spoon. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Gradually add to chili sauce, stirring constantly. Continue cooking 5 minutes.
- For enchiladas, heat oven to 350F.
- Heat about 1/2-in. in small skillet, until hot but not smoking. Quickly fry each tortilla in oil until softened, about 2 seconds on each side. drain on paper towels.
- In large bowl, combine cheddar cheese and onion. Mix well. Spoon 1/3 cup cheese mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in two 11x7-inch baking dishes. Top with chili sauce.Cover with foil.
- Bake 10 minutes or until hot.
- Remove foil. Sprinkle with American cheese. Continue baking 2 minutes or until cheese melts. 8 servings