Lumpia (In Spring Roll Wrappers)

My Comments:
There are many combinations of Lumpia fillings and after trying many I came up with this, reminds me of how they tasted when I was in the Philippians. I prefer the authentic Lumpia wrapper (spring roll wrapper) as they are very thin and fry up nice and crisp. Opposed to the egg roll and wanton wrappers.

Lumpia (In Spring Roll Wrappers)

Ingredients

2 (25 count)packages spring roll wrappers*

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2 cup minced Spanish onions

2 medium carrots , minced

1 stalk celery , minced

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning (optional)

Directions

Combine meat, vegetables, sauces and spices in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour for flavors to set.

Prepare wrapper as per package instructions and place on a work surface (should look like a diamond). Place 2 teaspoons of filling at the lower one third of the wrapper shape into a small strip about 3 inches long.

Fold bottom edge up, and then fold right side over followed by left side, then roll to complete. Seal end flap with water. (See note.) Finished Lumpia roll should be about 4 inches long.

After you have assembled all the Lumpia, heat your oil (I use deep fryer) to 375 degrees. Cook until golden brown, don’t over crowed, turning often, approximately 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Place remaining uncooked Lumpia in a freezer bag and freeze. I will heat my fryer and place these right in frozen, a few at a time and they come out great.

• Purchased at local Asian or Filipino store.

Note: the wrapper packages usually have instructions for rolling the wrap.

These sound so good. I cannot wait to try them! Thank you for the great post

KW I did try a similar recipe (1st) not good ! And as my Asian friend said …no no you buy already made from me very good! ($1.25 for 25 wraps…its a no brainer) With that being said I might try your second suggestion…well with the price of gas…Thanks
Papa_D

You are welcome and even though these are a little time consuming to make, they are worth it. I will post a dipping sauce for these in the am.

Papa_D

ps. to see a picture of these click on my link at the bottom of this page. (Papa_D_Chef’s Profile » FoodPals.com - Make Friends, Find a Recipe, Get Easy Dinner Ideas) and open gallery.

Mmm… sounds great! I love these-- I have a recipe (from Recipezaar) for baked lumpia rolls that’s turned out great everytime I make it. Healthier and less messy. I find that I need to add a little extra soy sauce or salt, but it’s also great as written, so I left it that way. I’ve also tried subbing cabbage for the water chestnuts and bamboo-- changes the texture a bit, but still great. Definitely try the dipping sauce.

Baked Lumpia Rolls

1 lb ground lean pork
1 medium carrot, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped fine
1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained and chopped fine
8 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 package wonton wrappers
1 large egg

Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with the water
2-3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger

1. In a large bowl combine the pork, carrot, onion, water chestnut, bamboo shoots, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and pepper.
  2. Stir mixture until thoroughly combined-at this point you can cover and stick in the fridge over night.
  3. I lay out about 10 wrappers at a time, roll the meat mixture into cigar shapes about finger thickness-be reasonable-and the length of the wrapper.
  4. Roll, brush ends with beaten egg and finish the roll to seal.
  5. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet and repeat until done.
  6. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven, turning once for around 20 minutes.
  7. They should be cooked through and the wrappers are golden brown.
  8. Serve hot.
  9. You can make these ahead of time and keep cooked lumpia in the fridge for up to 3 days, or frozen up to 4 weeks.
  10. To reheat (thaw if frozen) bake on baking sheet in a 450 oven for 10 minutes-turn rolls once.
  11. Dipping sauce----------------.
  12. In a 3 quart saucepan mix together the brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce.
  13. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves.
  14. Mix the cornstarch/water and add to the sugar mixture and stir until mixture boils.
  15. Remove from heat and stir in ginger.
  16. Makes 2/3 cup and you can double.