Magic Meatloaf

Magic Meatloaf

I got this recipe years ago from a Southern Gentleman named Maurice Bessinger. I played and tweaked it just slightly over the years by stuffing it with stuffing or sausage. I always did like to play with my food.

Anyway my dads favorite food was meatloaf. He was diagnosed with Parkinsons and eventually he could not walk, or speak, he was bedridden, then his good needed to be ground up so he could swallow it. February 2003 I flew back for his 71st birthday, and he looked so thin and weak I decided to make him a special meal for his special day… So I made him this meatloaf recipe, then I ground some up for him with some soft mashed potatoes and gravy. He ate 2 bowls full and ice cream for dessert!

His only ability to communicate was with 2 fingers, 1 meant yes and 2 meant no. I asked him if he liked his dinner and he put 2 fingers up, eaning no… so I asked daddy if you did not like it why did you eat so much, I would have made you someting else for your birthday. He put 1 finger down, grinned at me and he tried to laugh but no sound came out because of the damage from Parkinsons. That night he had enough strength to use the remote on his hospital bed and watch tv with both eyes open. He watched KINGPIN and loved watching girls in a night club dancing on poles. Three weeks later he was gone, but the meatloaf had given him that last chance to be mischievious and try to tease me. So this is a very special recipe in my collection.

Crock Pot or Oven Magic Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 slices bread, crumbled or equivilent bread crumbs
1 small onion, chopped or 1/2 t. onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 cup of your favorite Maurice’s Gourmet Blend BBQ Sauce

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.

Shape into loaf and place in crock pot.

Top with Maurice’s Gourmet Blend BBQ Sauce.

Cover and set to high for 1 hour, then turn to low for 8-9 hours.

(This recipe may be doubled for the 5 quart size crock pot.)

If you prefer you may bake this in a loaf pan ( or 2 loaf pans if recipe is doubled )

Bake uncovered in a preheated oven 350 degrees for 60 to 75 minutes.

VARIATIONS:

Smoked Sausage:

place 1/2 of mixture into crockpot or oven safe pan,

layer on smoked sausage,

top with remaining meatloaf mixture

Bake as directed above.

Stuffed Meatloaf:

Mix together basic meatloaf ingredients, and set aside

Mix together a batch of your favorite stuffing

Layer 1/2 of meatloaf, stuffing, and remaining meatloaf mixture.

Bake as directed above.

Serve with Gravy.

My brother and sister also loved the meatloaf, even though they lived in the north and had never even heard of barbecue sauce in a meatloaf. So for my dads funeral they asked me to make it again for when friends dropped by the house. I made a double batch and had people asking for the recipe.

Thanks for the story and the recipe – I’m going to make it tomorrow, just because you caught my eye with it! I saw Paula Dean put BBQ sauce in her meatloaf last week and it looked absolutely heavenly.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your touching story about your dad and this great recipe.

I’ve actually not really heard of using barbeque sauce in a meatloaf recipe either. Since I am the only meatloaf fan in my house :frowning: , it may be a while before I get to make this. I have copied it down though, and will be trying it out next time. I think if I try the smoked sausage variation I might be able to get my daughters to like it!

Magic Meatloaf
Besides the crockpot version, and ther oven baked version, why not make some up, shape into burgers and toss them on the grill… and if you are the only one that will eat them you can freeze some for your own special stash.

Lynne