Making A Pie Using Frozen Berries????

Hi,

I’ve tried making blueberry pies using frozen berries twice. Both times the crust is a beautiful golden brown however the berries are still frozen and the sugar hasn’t even melted.
I bake at the usual temps…425 for 15-20 minutes then turn down the heat.

I’d like to give it another try. This time I’m using a frozen berry/cherry mix by Dole.

Any suggestions?

Greatly appreciated,

Rho

Hi Rho -

Some people will use the frozen berries but will place them in a colander in the sink and let them thaw for an hour so they don’t have that problem. When I bake using frozen berries I prefer doing it that way. Even for my fruit salads and I use frozen blueberries I let them thaw a bit first. Just let the juices drain out. That should also stop the sugar from crystallizing.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, KW.

I sure hope it works too. With the cost of fruit this time of year, I’m hoping.

Pies in the oven as we speak. Kitchen is ice cold (heat not turned on) hope they defrosted enough.

I also am going to try baking it for 90 minutes at 350.

Let me know if it works for you by thawing them - hope all goes well.

(psssst - no heat in the kitchen and you fry bacon in the nude???)

The fruit didn’t quite thaw enough. The pie was in the oven for a total of 2 hours. I baked it at 325 for 1 1/2 hours and the crust was nicely golden, the fruit was bubbling nicely around the outside however, the filling was still stone cold in the centre. I cranked the heat up to 425 for 20 minutes and the filling was cooked but my crust was just a wee tad overcooked.

The pie was really good though; a mixture of cherries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries.

rho

The pie was wonderful. Everyone that had a piece just loved it.