Making good Sour Cream Doughnuts?

Hey guys, I have been trying to make good sour cream doughnuts like you can get at Krispie Kreeme or Dunkin Donuts, but have been having a hard time.

I’ve got this recipe below from the newspaper in Fort Lauderdale, FL where Dandee Doughnuts have reallllly good Sour Cream doughnuts. However, when I make them according to the recipe the dough is like really thick cake batter and almost has to be frozen and then heavily flowered to get it so I can cut doughnuts out and fry them. Any suggestions on getting a nice soft cake like texture, the splitting on the top like sour cream donuts you can buy, would be nice.

[i]Dandee Donuts Factory Sour Cream Donuts

Thanks to owner Peter Spyredes, this recipe is an identical twin to the version at the restaurant, where it’s made from a wholesale mix.

3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground nutmeg or

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional but nice)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sour cream

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Vegetable oil, for frying (we used

canola)

Honey Glaze (recipe given), optional

1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling, optional

1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, for

dusting, optional

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, baking soda, nutmeg or cinnamon, if using, and salt. Transfer to a piece of wax paper.

In the same bowl, use a whisk or electric mixer to mix together the sour cream and sugar. With a whisk or on the low speed of an electric mixer, beat until the mixture is smooth. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, mixing or whisking until smooth. Whisk or mix in the

vanilla.

Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix until a soft and pliable but not sticky dough forms. Let the dough sit at least 15 minutes to activate the baking soda. Or cover and refrigerate the dough up to 2 hours. Be sure to remove it from the refrigerator at least 35 minutes before rolling.

When ready, turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Pat or roll the dough out to about a 1/2-inch thickness. (If the dough seems too soft, you can sprinkle it with additional flour and knead enough in to make it the right consistency for easy rolling.)

Cut the dough out with a well-floured 3-inch double cutter or 2 sizes of biscuit cutters (you want a ring shape). As each is cut, place on a piece of parchment paper. Continue cutting and

rerolling until you have 18 donuts. (You can fry the mishapen scraps, if you wish.)

Meanwhile, heat 2 1/2 inches oil in a large saucepan to 375 degrees. One at a time, slide the donuts into the hot oil at the side of the pan. Do not crowd the pan; this will have to be done in

batches.

Each donut will take 2 to 2 1/2 minutes a side to cook. Turn each as soon as it browns on one side and rises to the surface. When cooked on both sides, remove with a fork or slotted spoon to brown paper or paper towels to drain.

While the donuts are still hot, place them on wire racks and drizzle with the Honey Glaze or shake in a bag with granulated sugar. Or, let cool and sift confectioners’ sugar over their tops. Makes 18 donuts.[/i]