maple flavoring

Does anyone know if you can substitute real maple syrup for maple flavoring? If so, would it be a 1 - 1 ratio? Thanks!

Hi Cricket -

I don’t know what you are making - but you cannot substitue maple syrup for the maple flavoring/extract in a recipe - but you can substitute vanilla extract for the maple.

I hope this helps.

KW

I am making maple cookies so vanilla wouldn’t work. Thanks.

Will this help?

Maple Syrup Cookies

Yield: Makes about 3 dozen.

1-1/2 cups maple syrup
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour, approximate

Heat maple syrup, sugar, and butter or margarine until just short of boiling. Remove from stove and add baking soda and water. Let cool, then add oats, salt, and enough flour to roll out. Roll to about 1/4 inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 8 minutes, until lightly browned.

Maple Bars

Makes Approx. 16 Bars.

1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup soft shortening (I use 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup shortening)
1 cup nutmeats
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Heat oven to 350’. Grease a square pan, 8 x 8 inches. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm.

Easy Maple Squares

3 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup cooking oil
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup dark maple syrup
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp. vanilla 2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Mix in order given. Pour into 13 x 9 pan, bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Do not over bake.

Maple Oatmeal Drops

Makes 4 Dozen Cookies.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup maple syrup (dark)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
1 1/4 cups rolled oats (quick)

In a small bowl or mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, maple syrup and sour cream. Beat well. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats. Drop by spoonful on greased pan. Bake at 375°F 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar.

MAPLE PEANUT COOKIES

1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. margarine, softened, or shortening
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. maple flavored syrup or real maple syrup
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 c. all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
Sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, margarine and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add syrup and egg yolk; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder; mix well. If necessary, refrigerate 15 to 30 minutes for easier handling. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With fork dipped in sugar, flatten balls in criss-cross pattern. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. 4 dozen cookies.

Hi, I had this problem years ago. You can make artificial maple syrup by combining corn syrup with maple flavoring (to taste). It worked pretty well for me. I got this out of a very old cook book. Good luck!!!::smiley:

It’s easy to make the maple syrup! It’s the maple extract that is the hard thing to make.

All you do is bring 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water to a boil, stirring continually, until it seems kind of thick (it won’t be as thick as store bought). Allow it to cool and as it cools add 1 teaspoon maple extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. I use pure extracts - they go a long way and taste better so to me it’s worth the cost.

Store this in the fridge. I store mine in a small glass jar. You can warm it in the microwave, or if like me you have no microwave, place it in a pot of hot water for a bit.

If you don’t have maple extract you can omit it.