½ cup beef stock

¼ cup tomato sauce

1 ½ tsp. dried oregano

1 ½ tsp. dried basil

1 ½ tsp. brown sugar

¼ tsp. kosher salt

¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

• big pinch crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste

In an extra-large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering; sauté onion until very tender and light golden-brown (about 8 min.). Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant and light golden-brown (1 ½-2 min.). Add wine; bring to a boil, cooking until liquid nearly evaporates (about 2 min.). Add remaining ingredients; reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens slightly (about 8 min.).

Makes about 2 ½ cups or enough for about 1 lb. dry pasta.

Looks like a nice quick and easy marinara. Sounds pretty good too.

What many don’t realize is that tomato sauce, puree, paste - they are all cooked products and you do not need to stand over the stove for hours to make any tomato-based sauce.

I watched my gram and my mom stand for hours preparing sauce - no need for that.

As a matter of fact, many say that tomato-based sauces are too acidic for them - giving them “the ahjjj” and that is caused by over cooking the sauce.

When making a meat sauce, I cook my meat thoroughly, then I add my tomato puree and if using canned tomatoes with it (depending on what I am making), add my spices, etc. and then put my pot on to boil my macaroni. I only cook the sauce until my macaroni is cooked - that’s it. And not to brag - but I do make a heluva great sauce in no time.

And if I am having salad and garlic or onion bread with it - I prepare that while frying my meat - when the macaroni goes in the water to cook - the bread is popped in the oven.

A complete meal done in no time - no matter how many I am cooking for!