(makes 4 servings)
4 matzo, broken into pieces, soaked in warm water until soft, and drained
2 ounces ( 60 ml) egg substitute
refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
1 medium onion, 6 ounces (180 g), finely chopped
6 ounces (180 g) mushrooms, sliced
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) crushed dried thyme
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml)salt, optional
freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C), Gas Mark 4.
- Place the drained matzo in a mixing bowl. Combine with egg substitute and set aside.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and cook the onions and mushrooms over medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes, until soft. Remove from heat.
- Add the marjoram and thyme to the matzo mixture. Then stir in the onions and mushrooms. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites along with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 6-cup (1.4 l) loaf pan with cooking spray, and spread the matzo mixture into the pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the kugel is set and browned on top. Allow to sit for a few minutes before slicing.
Per serving: 154 calories (4% calories from fat), 7 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 54 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 very lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch, 1 vegetable)