meatless Fridays -

Like I have told you - Fridays in my house are meatless - been like that for generations in our family. Of course - from the “old” Catholic religion of not eating meat on Fridays, or Wednesdays and Fridays during Lent, and the eve of certain holidays, etc.

Automatically when I tell people that I enjoy meatless Fridays, the first thing they think of is a fish or seafood meal. Not so. Today we had our "Pirate’s’ meal (posted earlier) which consisted of salmon. But this dish (posted below) is a nice meal - sure it was requested AFTER we finished our meal today!

Of course we have many meatless pasta meals - an endless variety of them!

Like many other Italian and non-Italian families, our family had chickens. Many meals for meatless days consisted of eating eggs. During the Great Depression it was the eggs from the chickens that kept many alive. No one during that time was worried about cholesterol - you never heard of it. But today they say not to eat too many eggs. But yet - for years, eggs were a main staple among many of the farmers.

This is a very good egg casserole recipe which can be served as a breakfast, brunch, lunch of dinner meal:

Shred enough peeled potatoes to equal 2 cups. I usually place in a large bowl of cold water so they don’t brown and also to rinse some of the starch out while preparing this:

Grease or butter a 2-qt. casserole.

Break a dozen eggs ino a bowl, add 1 c. sour cream and 1 t. seasoned salt.

Squeeze the water from the potatoes. In skillet, melt 3/4 stick butter and add 1 handful of chopped onion - lightly saute. Add potatoes and just stir to mix (do not cook on the stove top). Pour in sour cream mixture, stirring to mix. Transfer to prepared casserole. Sprinkle top generously with grated cheddar cheese. If you want you can use any cheese blend you wish.

Bake in preheated 350* F. oven for 25 minutes or until done - when knife inserted in center comes out clean.

If it is not a meatless day for you, you can fry breakfast sausages or ham steaks to go with this.

Enjoy!!!