1 pizza dough or 2 if you want to cover the pizza making it more of a calzone type dinner. You can buy pizza dough in your bakery or use the canned pizza dough. Or, if you’re real industrious, make your own dough.
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1-2 sweet onions (dependent on your like/dislike of onion) chopped fine
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded cheese (mexican style or a monterey jack/cheddar combo)
- Saute ground beef and drain. Add the taco sauce and 1/4 cup of water and cook until thickened.
- Lightly spray a pizza pan or a 13x9 inch jelly roll pan with non-stick spray or use a tsp of oil.
- Spread out the pizza dough to the edges of the pan.
- Place ground beef on the dough about 1 inch from edges
- Spread the black beans over the beef
- Sprinkle chopped onion over the beans
- Top with cheese
At this point it is a traditional “pizza” type dinner. You can bake it this way or use the second pizza dough to create a top.
If you wish to cover this with the second pizza dough, put the dough on top and pull it to the edges. Crimp the top dough to the bottom dough.
Put a few slices in the top of the dough with a knife to release steam
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Dough should be light brown in color. If you need to bake it longer check every 5 minutes. Oven vary and you want the dough baked and the middle hot.
Sour cream and taco sauce is all that is needed to complete this but if you want to sprinkle chopped lettuce and tomato on top it makes it into a hearty meal that is a fun rendition of a huge taco or burrito.
ENJOY. It’s our favorite Saturday night meal!