Microwave Risotto

Microwave Risotto

[i]"If you are unfamiliar with risotto, the creamy rice dish of northern Italy, you’re in for a treat. Unlike pilaf, with its dry and separate grains, risotto has a think, rich, creamy coating over firm and slightly chewy grams.

The classic risotto preparation requires almost an hour of constant attention and stirring over a hot stove. But microwave risotto takes only 3 minutes of preparation and 18 minutes of unattended cooking, so I am willing to make it even for myself of a quick lunch.

If you are a serious cook familiar with risotto, this recipe will convince you never to make another risotto by hand.

Barbara Kafka discovered that risotto could be made in the microwave. I have modified Kafka’s original recipe slightly to make this fine, astonishingly easy risotto."[/i]

Servings: 4 Servings

1 tablespoon fruity olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry sherry
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Stir together the oil, garlic and rice in a medium microwavable bowl, and microwave on HIGH, uncovered, for 3 minutes

2. Mix in the broth and the sherry, cover, and microwave on HIGH for 18 minutes. Stir to see if broth is absorbed and risotto is creamy. If not, microwave for another 2 to 5 minutes, then stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve.

Variation: Mushroom and Tomato Risotto

While the Risotto is cooking for 18 minutes in the microwave, I often like to prepare the following condimenti, which I add to the risotto at the same time I add the Parmesan cheese.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (about 2 cups) or 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
3 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup fresh or defrosted frozen peas

1. Heat the butter in a small skillet over moderate heat. When it begins to foam, add the mushrooms and tomatoes and gently sauté, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid from the tomatoes has almost evaporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat and set aside.

2. After approximately 18 minutes, when the rice is tender by still firm, add the condimenti, and stir vigorously to combine with the rice. Serve immediately.

Source: Epicurious.com