A cholesterol-free classic Italian vegetable soup brimming with fiber-rich beans, peas, and carrots.
1/4 C olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1-1/3 C coarsely chopped onion
1-1/2 C coarsely chopped celery and leaves
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 C sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
4-3/4 C shredded cabbage
1 can (1 lb) tomatoes, cut up
1 C canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/2 C frozen peas
1-1/2 C fresh green beans
dash hot sauce
11 C water
2 C uncooked, broken spaghetti
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion, and celery and sautÃ© about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti, and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2-3 minutes only.
Yield: 16 servings–Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 191 mg