Mini Eggplant Parmesans

Last week, DH and I went to the farmers mkt here in Mpls. We bought these little eggplants, that seriously were no bigger than the size of a VERY large grape. It looks like as soon as they started growing on the plant, they were harvested. They looked like Grape Tomatoes, except of course a lil bit bigger. They were so cute!! Anyhoo…I digress. We weren’t quite sure what to do with them, but at the time, bought them because I thought they were so cute. :smiley:

I decided to make miniature eggplant parms…thinking I would do them in muffin tins. As I was preparing them last night I had a lightening bolt hit me and remembered I have lil individual soup crocks (for french onion soup). So I got two of those out and made them in there. MMMM MMMMM They turned out so yummy.

20 Tiny eggplants, sliced
1 cup of homemade spaghetti sauce (no meat)
6 cloves of roasted garlic
1 cup of fresh basil
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese

Slice the eggplants and lay out on a paper towel. Salt both sides sparingly, just enough to bring out the water in the eggplants. Pat dry with a paper towel to get the excess water off. In a cast iron skillet (or any skillet you have) put a tbsp of olive oil in the pan and fry the eggplants until they are just tender. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In your little crockpots, spray with Pam. Put one spoon full of the sauce on the bottom. Place a layer of the eggplant, followed by a roasted garlic, a layer of basil and then a layer of cheese. Repeat. The top layer should be sauce and then covered with cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, increase the temp to 400 and bake for 10 more minutes to brown the cheese and to make it bubbly!

Boy were these YUMMY!