(makes 6 servings)
6 dried black mushrooms
Instant miso soup for 6
6 carrot flowers
1 scallion, chopped including some green
12 1/3-inch squares of firm tofu, about 2 ounces (60 g) total
6 slices of bamboo shoots
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water to cover until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain, and discard the stems. Cut the caps into small squares.
- Prepare the instant miso according to directions and keep warm.
- Cut 6 paper thin slices of carrot and then fashion into a flower by cutting out notches around the edge. If you wish. Leaving them round also looks fine.
- Place the small cubes of tofu on a paper towel and press lightly to dry and press.
- Place the tofu, sliced scallion, and bamboo shoots in the soup and warm through.
- Ladle into bowl and decorate with mushrooms and carrot flowers.
Per serving: 70 calories (28% calories from fat), 5 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 721 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 lean protein (meat), 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)