1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup flour
1 (3-oz) bottle Gebhardt’s chili powder
Pinch sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
4 cups water, divided
1/4 cake Mexican chocolate or 1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large saucepan, heat the oil.
Add a little flour and half of the chili powder.
Add the sugar, salt and 2 cups of water.
Stir a little. Slowly add the remaining flour,
chili powder and water, and the chocolate or
cinnamon.
Bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring
constantly.

Note: To use the sauce, dip tortillas in sauce
to cover both sides. Fill with meat, cheese, beans.
Roll up and place on dish. Cover with sauce.
Sprinkle cheese over top and bake.

Makes 1 quart.

Source: Modesto Bee newspaper, December 31, 1986

1 Like

I don’t know what their blend is, but I like Gebhart’s alot!

Oh my Gosh! I tell my friends about this restaurant and tell them I would give anything for one of their Tacos!!! They were huge and so good.This was 0ver 40 years ago. Does any one know what happened to the family? I can remember the restaurant was connected to their house. I think over by DMV???

I was looking at the Google Newspaper archive and I found this interesting recipe in the Modesto Bee newspaper. I have never been to the restaurant.

Here’s a link to the original recipe article in the Modesto Bee newspaper:

ARTICLE LINK:http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=lC8uAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dNYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1005%2C4976998

I went there as a child, and I remember the Father’s “second” family working in the kitchen taking all of the meat off of the turkey carcass’s. The TV was on Spanish Cartoons, and the kids, ages from 10 to 20 were helping in the kitchen or the dining area. I remember their turkey enchiladas, one filled the plate, or I should say platter. The meat was mixed with the gravy, and then rolled in a huge tortilla. I think they made them themselves, since I remember corn tortilla, but huge. I could be wrong. I remember that the enchilada was covered with gravy, then shredded lettuce, then onions (if you asked) and then parmesan cheese. I always asked for more gravy and would just eat lettuce, cheese, and gravy. This is the place where mom taught me how to taste for spices and such. The only thing that we didn’t get right was the saffron that the dad would bring home after he went to Mexico in August. They would shut down the restaurant for the whole month, and that was a very long month for us! He finally told my mom what was missing, but would not give her any. She heard that bird seed had saffron seeds in it, and so she bought a bag and planted each seed. Nothing grew. Now I can get saffron in the Hispanic department in the bags!. I use the above recipe with just a few strands of saffron. I don’t always make mole, so I leave the chocolate and cinnamon out then. But I make this at least once a month. I have become disabled in the last few months, but my husband and I are figuring out how to work around it so I can cook!

Gebhart’s is good, but give Penzey’s Chili Con Carne powder a try. It is so fresh tasting, that makes a real difference.

According to Penzey’s label: “Hand-mixed from: Ancho chili pepper, tomato powder, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, garlic, coriander, minced onions, red and green bell peppers, Tellicherry black pepper, allspice, cilantro and cloves.”

The link is now dead. It looks like Google removed the Modesto Bee newspaper from their archives.

Do you have their giant tamale recipe? I remember that so well.

If so my whole family wants it!