Mom's Apple Strudel

This strudel is well worth the time it takes. No storebought strudel even comes close. Pick a time when you can have some fun and experiment with the dough. This is one of the exceptions to the “less handling” concept. The dough needs to be stretched thin, thin, thin. You could cheat and buy puff pastry or phyllo dough.

This makes three strudels which can be flash frozen. They will keep 3-6 months in the freezer. Ours never last that long.

8 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups warm (not hot) water
1 dash salt (1/8 tsp)

Apple Filling
9-10 tart apples, granny smith
1 cup sugar
2-3 heaping tsp cinnamon
Enough melted butter (approx. 1 stick) to dot all over and brush on crust

Work the flour, eggs, oil, water, and salt into a dough. Divide into three parts. Roll each piece into a ball, brush with oil and let rest for 45 min.
Place on counter covered in plastic wrap and roll out as thin as you can.

This is the most important part.
Remove your rings if any part protrudes (important)-- then put your hand under the dough like you are making a claw with fingers pointing down and the top part of your hand ready to pull the dough toward you. Do this all the way around in a circle until the dough is paper thin and you can see through it. Brush generously with melted butter during this process. Trim off any heavy edges. Sprinkle on the peeled & sliced apples, sugar/cinnamon mixture to taste, sometimes I sneak in raisins, then drizzle melted butter over all.
Now take the plastic wrap and fold about 5" over toward the center on each side forming a frame around the dough. From the long side, lift one side of the plastic wrap and roll up completely. Fold it as long as your pan is. Seal edges. Gently put rolled strudel onto the pan ( cookie sheet); brush with melted butter and bake at 350* for about 45-55 min or just until golden brown.

You can use any kind filling but apple seems to be our favorite. Although the raspberry, strawberry, blueberry or peach ones aren’t too bad either.

Dear Pat, Is this really your mom’s recipe or is it one called MOM’s??? Just curious. I copied it and will let you know how long it lasts here…lol…Probably not even a day! Sounds great. Write me when you can.
Your Friend,
Vicki

Vicki,
This is a combination recipe. The ingredients are from my Mom but the amounts are a “guesstimate” from the original. She was one of those cooks who rarely measured anything. As a teenager I watched her and took notes. Trying to read forty year old chicken scratching is tough. I will admit to taking some liberties with her original recipe as some of it was not legible after all these years. It is basically the same recipe just updated.

I have made this several times, and although it is a lot of work, would do it again and again. Its just that good (to us!).