3/4 c Pecans; finely ground in
Food processor or blender
1/2 c Butter; softened
2/3 c Sugar
1/4 c Maple syrup
1 lg Egg

Preheat oven to 300 degree F.

In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, cinnamon
and finely ground pecans. For extra flavor, saute pecans in 1 Tbl butter until slightly browned. Mix ingredients well with a wire whisk and set aside.

In a medium bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until mixture forms a grainy paste. Add syrup and egg and beat until slightly thickened. Add the flour mixture and blend at low speed just until combined.

Place dough in plastic bag and refrigerate until firm,
about 1 hour. Remove dough from refrigerator and shape into 1-inch balls.

Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets 1 inch apart. Bake 17-18 minutes or until cookie bottoms are golden brown. Immediately transfer to a cool, flat surface.

YIELD: 30 Cookies

I have made these cookies many times but they always come out flat. I definitely think it is an issue with the recipe as I have never had this problem with any other cookie I have made. Any suggestions?

If homemade cookies spread too much during baking, the following problems may have occurred:
The oven temperature was too cold. Pure cane sugar (sucrose) was not used; fructose sugar or a blend of sugars was substituted. The cookie sheets were greased too heavily. Diet margarine or vegetable oil spreads were substituted for butter or regular stick margarine (80% fat). Dark brown sugar was used instead of light brown sugar generally called for in recipes. The cookie sheet was still warm when the cookie dough was placed on the sheet.

Sometimes it’s the margarine - if using margarine - spreads ruin everything. Sometimes it’s the person that wrote the recipe. This was place on line by Ruth Burkhart (I don’t know where she got this one from) and all the ratings I’ve seen have been low on this recipe.

This is a good recipe if you would like to try it -

Maple Pecan Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
3 tbls. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. maple flavoring
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
36 pecan halves

Preheat oven to 325 deg.

In mixing bowl beat butter on medium until softened. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg yolk, syrup, vanilla and maple flavorings. Beat until combined. Beat in flour, stir in chopped pecans. Use 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie. Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet. Slightly press pecan half into center of each cookie. Bake 325 for 18 - 20 minutes.
Cool on rack.