My cake get Cracked on top and burned underneath

Dear Chefs,

When I make cake ,everytime it get cracked on the top , get burned the underneath also get dark browned in both side while the inside remains raw. I use normal recipe only for regular evening table as cake is my son’s favourite. I use Soyabin Oil instead of Butter ( since butter is expensive) , eggs , milk,flour, sugar and baking powder, give 180*C or F , keep 45 minutes. It tests good though I face the same problem everytime; It gets too dark brown or burn while the inside remains uncooked and gummy. I have an old model NOVA Convection Oven .

I noted your tips on making and baking cakes BUT if you give me some advice on my above particular problem it will be really appreciated .

Thanks in advance for your kind reply and advice on my difficulties.

Regards
Susmita
Bangladesh.

KW will be able to give you a definitive answer, but it seems to me that you are baking at too high a temperature. Remember, with convection ovens you need to lower the temp. Also you may need to have your oven calibrated to be sure it is accurate.

Dear KW ,

Thank you for your reply .
So, In what temperature I should bake the cake? Also my cake get dry sometimes. I want to be sure all time that my cake will be moist and soft. Please advise. I have not heard about oven thermometer before. How it works ? How and when I will use the thermometer ? Is it really necessary for making cakes ? I will try to buy a new convection oven for cake and cookies .( I am also thinking of making cookies and bread in my next cooking step).

I got your baking tips before and kept a copy of it . appreciate if you give me some on line addresses that uses oil for cakes.

Regards
Susmita Golam
Bangladesh

Most cakes should be baked at 350 F (180 C). You can look for an oven thermometer at shops that sell kitchen supplies. To use it you set it in the oven and set your oven to the desired temperature. When it reaches that temp, look at your oven thermometer and see what it reads. Adjust your oven accordingly. For example if you set your oven at 350 F and when it is hot your oven thermometer reads 400 F, you know that you have to reduce your oven temperature to 50 degrees less than your recipe calls for. An oven thermometer is necessary for any baking to be sure the oven is accurate.

Dear Kitchen Witch,
I have few questions . Thanks in advance for your patience.
What is Shortened cakes & Unshortened cakes & Chiffon cakes ? Can you provide me some details on these .

From your notes :
In Shortened Cake we use Whole egg + fat+sugar creaming method ? Then mix flour and others ?
In Unshortened cake We will leave egg Yolk , will use only beaten egg whites + fat + Sugar ? Then mix flour and others ?
Chiffon cake : We will mix Vegetable oil + sugar + egg Yolk . AND then mix with beaten egg white and others ?

Regards
Susmita
Bangladesh

Dear KW,

Many many thanks for your valuable information. I must find out a Oven thermometer. Today I checked my Oven : It is an ‘AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC OVEN’. NOVA –NT-219 G . (Old Model). It May has a Fan at backside. (When the Oven is Switched ON sounds and hot weather come out through the wall.) Has picture of Cakes, pizzas , toast and grilled chicken. Temperature : 0◦ - 205◦ . (Only has the Degree sign.) There is not indicated whether it is Celsius or Fahrenheit or Centigrade. It also has a key regulator which has 3 options(in picture): heat up&down,heat up and heat down.(I never touched the regulator). Actually , I do not know much about Oven. As, It is not Microwave oven. So, I thought that it was a Convection Oven . Oh God ,I am so confused !
In our country we generally do not cook food in Oven . Cooking in Electric Oven OR Other Oven is Fancy for us. We use Gas or mud stove (ignited by wood) . Now, my question is : What kind of Oven is good for making cakes ? What name it is Called ? If I want to make Cookie or Bread what kind of Oven should I use? Is this the same Oven used for Cake ?Sometimes you told for Celsius sometime you told for Fahrenheit . I can not understand this . Wish you give me some brief on it. Next time, when I will buy a new Oven I must ask you for your advice.

You told , Pastry cooks well in a convection oven . In our country , we have Pastry shops where sells small cakes, decorated birthday cakes , muffins, rolls,dougnats etc. I knew that Pastry is a kind of decorated cake with cream and chocolates on top.
So, What is the difference between Pastry and Cake ?

I thank you in advance for having patience for reading and replying my lots of questions .

Regards
Susmita
Bangladesh

====================
Dear lvdkeyes,
Thanks for your reply.
Today I have checked my Oven . It hasTemperature from 0◦ - 205◦ . (Only has the Degree sign.) There is not indicated whether it is Celsius or Fahrenheit or Centigrade. I am so confused with Celsius and Fahrenheit OR centigrade. I can not understand this . Wish you give me some brief on it.

Regards
Susmita

OK, based on your oven going from 0-205 degrees, that is Celsius which is another name for centigrade. Now you need to check the accuracy of your oven with an oven thermometer to see if 200 really is 200.

Dear Kitchen Witch,

I do not know how to thank you for your patience and reply. I could not even imagine that I can get these valuable information ;will be replied to my question . You are really so good.

Now I got a clear picture on baking cake. I already talked to some shop who sells Oven , but it seems that Gas Oven are much more expensive. :shock: No chance, I have to go ahead with my Old Electric Oven. but, I wish I could buy a Gas Oven some day .

I will keep every note next time while making cake and let you know the outcome .

My best wishes & Regards
Susmita
Bangladesh

I have an electric stove top and oven because I live in a condo and gas is not allowed. I have no problems baking in my electric oven. If I had my preference I would have a gas stove top and an electric oven.