My Famous Sweet Potato Pie

I have posted this recipe on different forums over the years and have received hundreds of emails from people who love it.

Sweet Potato Pie

3 large sweet potatoes – 2 1/2 pounds
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
4 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ( 12 ounce ) can evaporated milk
2 9 inch deep dish pie shells

Preheat oven and cookie sheet to 375 degrees. Boil sweet potatoes in water
until easily pierced with a fork. Cool slightly. Place cooked and peeled
potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth. Add butter and sugar
and beat well. Beat in eggs one at a time, mix in spices and milk. Pour
into unbaked pie shells. Bake on preheated cookie sheet near center of oven
70 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

These baked pies freeze well too. I have frozen one at Thanksgiving and thawed for Christmas and was still delicious.

I haven’t had sweet potato pie in years. Sounds like a good recipe, Nanacat. I’ve got it copied and will let you know how we like it when I make it.

I have this recipe and if it is possible, it is even better when you bake the potato instead of boiling. I prick them and spray with Pam, place in a glass baking dish on 400 for about an hour. OMG, delicious! Headed to the grocer to buy sweet potatoes now!

I make a Sweet Potato Pie for Thanksgiving every year…But then, I love sweet potatoes any way they are fixed (love one baked better than white potatoes)…I even love eating them raw.
This is a good pie recipe…thanks for posting.
Cin(\0/)

Thanks , I have always wanted to try spp but this sounds like a lot of sugar , I like sweet potatoes just as they are or am I getting confused with Yams . Have never liked the casseroles with sugar and marshmallows on top much too sweet for me . Would sure like to know which is which Yams or Sweet Potatoes. I have seen light colour and orangy colour.
Nonie

I like sweet potato pie more than pumpkin pie. When I make it I top it off with a marshmallow meringue (stir melted marshmallows into egg whites).

This is a pretty good recipe. Perfect for a weekend cooking. Thank you for sharing.

Hi, I am Juney…I am new to this forum. Looking forward to all the awesome Recipe sharing.

Hi. I’m called Obedient, I’m a new kid on the block, and I’m looking forward to all the good recipes that I will get to try beginning with “My Famous Sweet Potato Pie.”

Here’s the Marshmallow Meringue Topping recipe that I add to sweet potato pies:

Marshmallow Meringue Topping for Sweet Potato Pie

Covers one 8- or 9-inch pie.

2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 tablespoon milk
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 325-F

To make the marshmallow meringue, place the marshmallows and milk in a saucepan;
over low heat, fold mixture gently with a rubber spatula, until marshmallows are half melted. Remove pan from the heat. Continue folding until marshmallows melt completely, and the mixture becomes smooth and fluffy. Set aside, off heat, while beating the egg whites.

Place the egg whites in a separate mixing bowl, add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar a tablespoon at a time, beat 30 seconds between tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla and salt.

Gently fold the egg whites into the melted marshmallow mixture, and spread over the top of the sweet potato pie.

Return the pie to the oven and bake until the peaks of the meringue are toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.

@nanacat

Thanks for sharing. Where I live it’s difficult to find sweet potato, you just made me want to cook it but I don’t have the main ingredient… :slight_smile:

So good! thanks a lot for sharing!
I 'll try to make them! i like that foods!

`