My First Challah Braid

The bread turned out great, it’s soft, rich and has a wonderful flavor. I could use a little more practice in the braiding area but for my first time I think it turned out pretty well. I used the 4 strand braid…I watched several videos on You Tube to learn how to do it.

Challah Braid

2 heaping tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons oil
1/4-cup honey
3-1/2 ounces tub butter – melted
1/2 heaping cup powdered milk
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 cups very warm water
1 large egg
3 large egg yolks
4 rounded tablespoons vital wheat gluten
4 cups all-purpose flour
1-tablespoon yeast

2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour

Place all the ingredients (except for the last 2-1/2 to 3 cups of flour) in bowl of stand mixer that will knead dough. Turn machine on just to mix well then turn the machine off, cover and allow mixture to sit for 3 hours. (Mixture will take on a slight sour smell, don’t worry it’s supposed to do that)

Then add enough of the remaining flour to the machine to get a medium dough and knead for 12 minutes. Cover and allow to rise to the top of the bowl.

Braid and baste with egg wash…allow to rise for 38 minutes.

Baste with egg wash again and bake at 350° for 38 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180°.

This looks beautiful. One question - what do you mean by “tub butter”?

Tub butter has some fat in it but it is mostly water and flavorings.

Thank you. I will have to see if it’s available here.

I don’t like margarine either. If tub butter is really margarine, can I use regular butter in the above recipe?

I am confused. The OP says it is Country Crock that has water and flavorings in it. Is that butter?

I’m sure you are correct that real butter is better in everything but at $3.00 a pound those of us who are living on a fixed income have to make adjustments where we can.

I have chickens who eat bugs they catch and table scraps that I give them and I get all the eggs I can use. The hens are constantly hiding a batch of eggs in the summer time and coming up to the house with a batch of new babies and there are always plenty of little roosters to fatten up for the pot.

The rest of the ingredients come from the farmer’s market where I can get baking ingredients cheaper in bulk. A 25 pound bag of AP flour for $6.00, a 10 pound box of powdered milk for $12.00, and so on. I can make a lot of bread and other baked items from these ingredients…but butter is very expensive. So it’s lard for making pies and biscuits, vegetable oil for general cooking and tub margarine for a butter flavored spread. It may not be up to your standards but I do the best I can. It’s good bread and I could never afford to purchase one from a real bakery so I’m happy to have it.