Navajo Tacos

Navajo Tacos
This is from a good friend who lived and worked on the Navajo Reservation as a doctor for a few years.

Dough:

4 cups flour
1 Tbsp yeast and/or Baking Powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups liquid (milk and water combination)

Put dry ingredients in the food processor with the metal blade. Pulse to mix. While running pour in the liquid. Let run until it forms a ball (30 to 45 seconds). Place in bowl, cover with towel and let rise for at least 1 hour. Divide into about 5 or 6 pieces, form into balls, pat out flat, let rest a few minutes, stretch out to about 8 inches in diameter and in ten inch fry pan fry in about 1 inch of oil; turning once to brown both sides.
Top with desired toppings and eat.

Toppings:

refried beans
meat (fry lean ground meat into browned crumbles and add taco seasoning)
chopped tomatoes
chopped onions
shredded cheese
shredded lettuce
chopped black olives
salsa
guacamole
sour cream

Yum! I’m am so going to make this!! :slight_smile:

As a native New Mexican I have eaten plenty of these and holy crap they are by far one of the best things about living in the Southwest!

One of my favorite,TACOS. But I never made one myself. Maybe this is the perfect time for me to make my own taco. Thank you for sharing.

I have made this recipe before and it is really good. Thanks for the reminder for a great supper one night.

Sue

We lived on the reservation for 2 1/2 yrs and had many of these. They insist on using Blue Bird flour for making their frybread and tortillas. You can find it online.

Sounds very easy and very good!! I am going to try these.

Your right, it sounds very easy, i think am going to have a crack at it. wish me luck.

Used to live in the Grand Canyon Village and would drive 80 miles to have these for lunch! Can’t wait to try