Need Vegtable Recipes

I am looking for intresting ways to prepare vegtables which are somewhat healthy. I am trying to get away from cooking them with bacon fat or pork seasonings. An example is a aunt of mine adds a can of rotel to some of her beans. I loke butter beans, green beans, peas, brocoli etc.

Thanks in advance,

Here’s a recipe that I’ve tried and found pretty good.

Spaghetti Squash

Heat oven to 350.
Cut spaghetti squash in half; scoop out seeds.
Place cut side down in small roasting pan.
Add 1/2 cup water.
Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until squash is tender.
In small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat.
Add 6 cloves garlic minced, and 1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper flakes; cook 1 minute or until garlic just starts to color.
Add 1/3 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, salt and black pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Using fork, shred squash into strands. (let squash cool some before shredding)
Place in bowl; toss with garlic mixture.
Top with 1 tablespoon butter.

Makes 6 servings

Source: Family Circle

Savory Green Beans

(6 servings)

1-1/2 lbs green beans
1/4 cup oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp chopped onions
3/4 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup boiling water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chopped basil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Leave beans whole, or cut into 1-inch pieces.

Heat oil and garlic in heavy pan. Add onions and green pepper and cook slowly 3 minutes. Add beans, water, salt and basil, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 15 minutes if whole.

Stir in half the cheese, turn mixture into serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Herbed Green Beans

(4 servings)

1 lb fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup minced onions
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup minced celery
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp basil

Soak green beans in cold water for 15 minutes.

Melt butter in a 1-1/2 quart saucepan. Saute onions, garlic and celery in it until tender.

Add drained beans, cover, and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Add seasonings.

Snap Beans with Tomatoes and Parmesan

(6 servings)

3 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cups of 2-inch pieces of cooked snap beans, green or yellow
4 large tomatoes, cubed
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Fry bacon and remove it from skillet. Saute onions in bacon fat until just tender.

Combine onions, bacon, beans, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Place in greased casserole, top with grated cheese, and bake until cheese is brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

Broccoli Amandine

(4 servings)

Cook 1 large bunch of broccoli; drain and arrange on a heated serving platter.

To 6 tbsp melted butter, add lemon juice to taste and 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds. Sprinkle over the broccoli.

Broccoli with Black Olives

(4 servings)

1 bunch (about 1-1/2 lbs) fresh broccoli, trimmed
3 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup small black olives, pitted and cut into small pieces
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Parboil broccoli about 2 minutes in small amount of salted water. Drain.

Heat oil, add garlic and saute until light brown. Add broccoli and season with salt and pepper. Cook slowly over low heat 10 minutes, adding a little of the water in which broccoli was cooked if the pan gets too dry.

Add olives and heat 2 minutes longer. Serve immediately sprinkled with grated cheese.

It seems that you are trying to get rid of the fat content is the vegetables.

Try if canned products … first rinse well all the company water solutions well start over with distilled water or use distilled water when cooking fresh or frozen if needing water.

Add in different ways or together: Black olives, onions, whole garlic, Romano Cheese, pimento, capers, some Pepperoni diced not much just a taste.

Add some chicken or beef bullion or broth to those veggies.

If not watching your sugar …add some honey and wines.

Try herbs of different varities.

You can use wine to cook these with adding a small dab of butter only or olive oil.

You can add tuna, crab or shrimp …rinsed well of course if in a can.

I would use fresh tomatoes with diced chiles instead of Rotel because of the salt content in the can

You can add ginger root or turnips or wasbsa to all and any vegetable.

If you want exact recipes I have some of them also.
But I find if you try these different ways you will surprise yourself.

There are no screw ups . . . just great creations on ones mind to create another great recipe. hj :lol:

Actually I am tring to get away from salt. recently started having problems with blood pressure. I didn’t think about the salt content in the Rotel. Thanks!

By all means all can food is loaded with Salt even when they say they are not. I too must watch salt intake. So Fresh vegetables are the way to go with distilled water, or grilling with a little Pam spray, Steam and if using olives must must must rinse the brine off. But fresh herbs and some olive oil will do the trick . the Bullion cubes forget it loaded with salt. So make fresh chicken ,beef, fish stock for your base can freeze and use it also when needed. hj :wink: