Needham Candy

I have lost my mother’s recipe for Needham Candies. She used to make them for Christmas. If someone knows of this candy I would love to have the recipe again. :oops: Thank You CrazyClaraNo1@yahoo.com

I have several - here’s 3 of them -

Needham Bars or Potato Candy Recipe

3/4 cup warm unseasoned mashed potatoes
1/4 butter
2 lbs confectioners’ sugar
8 ounces coconut
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Chocolate Dip
1/2 package paraffin wax
12 ounces chocolate chips
4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares

Mix first six ingredients well.
Place into a 9x13 pan and pat down until smooth.
Place in refrigerator until firm.
Cut into 24 squares.
Dip each square into melted chocolate (I use a toothpick).
Place on waxed paper to harden.
Store in airtight container.

1 small russet potato or yukon gold potato, etc
2 (1 lb) bags powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter (amount really depends on how thick you like it)
1 cup pecan meal (I buy my pecan meal at the health food store)

wash the potato well - and boil in enough water to cover it completely until extremely well cooked.
rinse potato in cold water while removing skin, allowing it to cool down slightly.
place potato in large mixing bowl and smash to a smooth paste.
add powdered sugar and mix well, until it forms a smooth dough.
roll dough out on a smooth surface sprinkled with powdered sugar so it will not stick.
spread peanut butter on in a smooth layer, not too thick.
sprinkle on pecan meal.
roll up into a log, as tight as you can without breaking dough.
slice into sections approximately 1/2 inch and place on a serving tray.
Do Not Stack candy on top of each other!
Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 30 min to chill and set.
*NOTE: If you cannot find Pecan Meal you can use finely chopped pecans, or make your own by placing the nuts in food processor - adding a small amount of granulated sugar to keep the meats from turning into a tight paste.

1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 lbs confectioners’ sugar
2/3 cup flaked coconut

1. In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the potato, salt and vanilla and the coconut. Sift the confectioners sugar over potato, stirring and adding about 1 cup at a time. Mixture will liquefy when first sugar is added then gradually begin to thicken.
  3. When it becomes the consistency of stiff dough, knead it even though not all the sugar has been added.
  4. After kneading, cover with a damp cloth and chill until a small spoonful can be rolled into a ball. Shape in small 1/2 inch balls. Dip balls in melted chocolate then roll in peanuts or coconut.