New in KY

Hi! My name is Kayla Custer, and my family and I farm in KY. My family has been farming for as long as I can remember, (starting out in GA, and moving here to KY 2 years ago,) and I cook mostly with our products that we grow and raise here on our farm. We grow a huge garden, and plan on taking veggies to the market this year. We raise all of our own meats (beef, pork, chicken, turkey…) and have milk cows. I’m in charge of the milkers, and right now I’m milking 3 cows. I just bought my own cow a couple of weeks ago, and I already own a LGD, an Anatolian Shepherd. I am enhancing my dowry. ;):cool:

Personally speaking, I’m a few days shy of 21, I was homeschooled all the way through, and graduated in '06. I milk cows, knit, crochet, braid leather, design and sew my own skirts, surf the web for great ideas, FB too much, manage our family website, and cook extensively. I do 90% of the cooking for my family of 6, and have been doing that much cooking since I was 15 or 16. I make my own recipe and find it nearly impossible to follow someone else’s recipe to a T. The guys in my family are always telling me to “write it down and write a cookbook!” Maybe “Cooking with the Farmer’s Daughter…” They sorta like my cooking. :cool:

I am very “into” healthy eating, after the manner of Weston A. Price. I use a lot of cream and butter in my food! :stuck_out_tongue: I am of the persuasion that you can have wonderfully healthy food that doesn’t taste like health food, if you know what I mean! I like reading after Sally Fallon, and find the journey of healthy eating and living to be fascinating! I believe that healthy food and happy living is essential to a long, happy life!

I am thrilled to be here, to learn more about food and cooking, and maybe help some others along!

~Kayla

P.S. Now I’m off to finish supper…BBQ sandwiches, made with our pastured pork, homemade hamburger buns (ground the wheat and made them earlier) with our homemade BBQ sauce. On the side, we’re having friend cheese sticks, made from the mozzarella cheese I made this morning, and fried in my lard that I rendered from our hogs! :slight_smile:

OMG Woman! Do you ever have to go to the store? LOL
Chip

Well, I don’t make toilet paper… :smiley: