New Orleans Bread Pudding

Here’s a great bread pudding recipe that’s served by one of the best restaurants in New Orleans. I never liked bread puddings til I served this one at a dinner party. My guests went wild and demanded the recipe. For those opposed to liquor, you may leave out the brandy, but you’ll miss a lot in the delicious taste. The ingredients sound like a lot, so you can cut in half for a small family or double for a large gathering. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

NEW ORLEANS BREAD PUDDING
DearSweetLinda - Collierville, TN

Makes 15 or more servings.

Ingredients:

• 3 Loaves French Bread
  • 15 ozs. Raisins
  • 1/2 Gallon Whole Milk
  • 1/2 lb. Sugar
  • 10 Eggs
  • 1/2 Pound of Melted Butter
  • 3 ozs. Vanilla Extract

Directions:
Cut French bread into cubes. Pour milk on French bread. Let milk soak into bread. Add the remaining ingredients to French bread mixture. Mix with hand until blended evenly. Pour mixture into ungreased pan.

Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Topping

• 3 ozs. Brandy
  • 1 lb. butter
  • 8 ozs. sugar
  • 2 ozs. vanilla extract

Let butter sit at room temperature until very soft.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend with mixer until smooth.
Pour over bread pudding.

What is 8 oz. sugar equivalent to? What is 3oz. Brandy equivalent to?

3 ounces is 6 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 15 ml and there are 30 ml to 1 ounce.

I’m new here and what do I find right off the bat? The recipe for my very favorite bread pudding of all time! I’ve missed being able to enjoy it since moving. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

oh my…going by my chart, this is how it figures out to me
Cin(\0/)

[b]Ingredients:

• 3 Loaves French Bread
  • 15 ozs. Raisins (8oz = 1 Cup…so approx 2 Cups)
  • 1/2 Gallon Whole Milk
  • 1/2 lb. Sugar (8oz = 1 Cup)
  • 10 Eggs
  • 1/2 Pound of Melted Butter (8oz = 1 Cup)
  • 3 ozs. Vanilla Extract (5 T = 1/3 C)

Topping:

• 3 ozs. Brandy (5T = 1/3 Cup)
  • 1 lb. butter (16oz = 2 Cups)
  • 8 ozs. sugar (1 Cup)
  • 2 ozs. vanilla extract (4T = 1/4 Cup)

[/b]--------------------------------------
my chart:
1 cup or 8 oz or 16 T or 48 t or 237 ml
3/4 cup or 6 oz or 12 T or 36 t or 177 ml
2/3 cup or 5 oz or 11 T or 32 t or 158 ml
1/2 cup or 4 oz or 8 T or 24 t or 118 ml
1/3 cup or 3 oz or 5 T or 16 t or 79 ml
1/4 cup or 2 oz or 4 T or 12 t or 30 ml
1/8 cup or 1 oz or 2 T or 6 t or 30 ml
1/16 cup or .5 oz or 1 T or 3 t or 15 ml

This is the best damned bread pudding I have ever tasted.

2 stale croissants
100g fine sugar sugar
2 x 15ml tablespoons water
125ml double cream
125ml full-fat milk
2 x 15ml tablespoons bourbon Optional or I have made it with calvados)
2 eggs, beaten

Serves: 2 greedy people

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Tear the croissants into pieces and put in a small gratin dish; I use a cast iron oval one with a capacity of about 500ml for this.
Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, and swirl around to help dissolve the sugar before putting the saucepan on the stove over a medium to high heat.
Caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it bubble away, without stirring, until it all turns a deep amber colour; this will take 3-5 minutes. Keep looking but don't be too timid.
Turn heat down to low and add the cream - ignoring all spluttering - and, whisking away, the milk and bourbon, if using. Any solid toffee that forms in the pan will dissolve easily if you keep whisking over low heat. Take off the heat and, still whisking, add the beaten eggs.
Pour the caramel custard over the croissants and leave to steep for 10 minutes if the croissants are very stale.
Place in the oven for 20 minutes and prepare to swoon.

There is a fine dining establishment near my home that serves the best bread pudding ever. The only part of the secret recipe they will tell is that they use day-old cinnamon rolls instead of bread. It has no raisins or nuts. This is a family owned restaurant, very expensive, and people travel here just for the famous bread pudding.

Would like to make this for a wedding/BBQ - 90 + guests - thought I would put on buffet and let guests serve themselves by putting a scoopful in a tulip bowl, pouring on the sauce and adding a dollip of whipped cream. Is this doable?

Here are my need help questions - can I double receipe, put in chaffing dish restaurant size pans, make it in the morning, and bake it in the evening? I would make 2 pans this size for that many people.

Really sounds good! Anyone that doesn’t want to use actual brandy…I know you can find a rum extract in the spice aisle at the store. I never checked, but there might be one for brandy also. I’m not sure what the exchange would be as the extract is strong. I’ve used the rum extract in egg nog for those I knew wouldn’t drink anything with alcohol & it tasted the same. Unfortunately I went by taste & not measurement which wouldn’t work in the bread pudding recipe.

Thanks for posting!

how do you print this recipe?

Please tell me how to print the bread pudding recipes

Using your mouse left click and hold and highlight the text you want to print. Right click your mouse somewhere on the highlighted text, and select Copy in the pop up menu. Use Notepad, Wordpad or Word and in a new document right click your mouse there, and select Paste in the pop up menu. Then use the print function of the application you are using.

Or Google and download BigOven which is free, and install in it. Then use your mouse left click and hold and highlight the text you want. In the top menu click File, Import recipes and from Clipboard. Then highlight the title, and click the recipe title button, highlight the ingredients and click the Ingredients button and highlight the Directions and click the Instructions button. Enter yields if you like, and then click Import!. Click on the recipe name in the left box, and click Print in the task bar under the top menu and click Review and Print button, then click Print icon in the top left. You have also added the recipe to your collection.