New Way to Cook Salmon

I work for USA Today and in today’s newspaper was a unique way to cook salmon and keep it moist.

Preheat over to 150 degrees F. (yes, 150). Place salmon in a roasting pan and cover with citrus fruit slices and fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme and rosemary. Put in oven and cook for approximately five minutes per ounce (6 oz. equals 30 minutes). Remove herbs and season with salt and pepper.

A J

hi I’m a newbie. That salmon idea sounds great. Have you ever had salmon at LoneStar Steakhouse? They marinate it for hours in all sorts of yummy ingredients (which Idon’t know exactly what they are) but I’ve not been able to stop wanting more since I tried it the first time. I’ve never been able to make Salmon very well so thank you for your post I am going to try it.

You are very welcome. We have a steakhouse similar to yours. It is called Long Horn and they do salmon by marinating it in bourbon, brown sugar, wocheshire sauce and pepper. It is always a hit when I make it.

Glad you are here. This site is awesome. Everyone is extremely helpful. Enjoy and let us know if we can assist you.

AJ

Lone Star does the same thing also, this summer I tried it by marinating it, and soaking a cedar plank in water for a few hours, then placed the salom on it and took it to the grill, it was wonderful! The smell and flavor of the cedar was fantastic! But you need to stay with it as salom cooks quickley and it will really smokes.

I’ve heard about the cedar plank thing before, If I remember right you just soak the plank in water for a few hours right?

I marinated my salmon the other night and it was delicious. Next time I’ll be brave and try the plank :slight_smile: thanks!!!

If you’re looking for an easy salmon recipe try this one. The herby crust helps to keep the salmon moist. (serves 4)

4 x 175g/6oz salmon steaks or salmon fillets
50g/2oz unsalted butter
50g/2oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 teasp grated lemon rind
1 teasp frozen, mixed herbs (see note*)

Method

Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/gas 5.

Mix the herbs with the breadcrumbs and lemon rind, season with salt & pepper.
Melt the butter and brush over the top of the salmon steaks
Spread the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the salmon steaks, place in a greased, ovenproof dish and bake the salmon for 15 minutes.

*Note: Don’t worry if you can’t find any frozen herbs. As an alternative use a combination of fresh flat leaf parsley and dill or basil. Or just use 1 variety of herb. It will still taste delicious.

Cherie

Our grocery store (Hannaford) sells the cedar planks during the summer for BBQ’S , not sure about the winter time. Here is a copy of the recipe they suggested with the plank.

Cedar Cilantro Salmon
INGREDIENTS:

cedar plank, pre-soaked in water 4 to 6 hoursolive oil3plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped1/4 cupgreen onion, finely chopped2 Tbsp.fresh squeezed lime2 tsp.sugar2 clovesgarlic, minced1/4 tsp.salt, divided1/2 tsp.Pepper4 (6 oz. each)salmon fillets red and yellow bell pepper slicesDIRECTIONS:
In a medium glass bowl stir together first 7 ingredients (1/8 teaspoon salt) until well combined. Keep chilled. Prepare grill to medium heat. Brush one side of plank with olive oil. Sprinkle pepper and remaining salt on fillets and place on oiled plank. Set plank on grill rack and cook for approximately 8 minutes each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork and is opaque (not shiny). Place each fillet on a plate on top of one cup tomato mixture and garnish with bell peppers as desired. Proper internal temperature for food safety should be 155 degrees Fahrenheit.

Servings: 4.

Tip: Planks are available at Hannaford for the barbecue season.