Norwegian Christmas Bread (Yulekake)

A dear friend commented last night he really missed the Norwegian specialty of Yulekake … it’s really more of a bread. It’s a little different and I thought perhaps someone else would enjoy the recipe. It’s very easy to make and leftovers (like that’s going to happen! lol) is fabulous used for toast or if you want to get totally decadent used in French toast.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Norwegian Christmas Bread (Yulekake)

Ingredients

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
* 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/2 cup diced citron or mixed candied fruit

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, egg, butter, salt, cardamom and 2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in raisins, citron and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each portion into a flattened ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

Note: you can use any sort or combination of chopped dried fruit from the wonderful craisins, to dried apricots, dried cherries, currants, dates, whatever tickles your fancy at the moment. There is no right and wrong in these substitutions. Also, if you’re not a cardamon fan, feel free to substitute another flavoring, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, whatever. This is a very forgiving recipe.

Thank you … I (quite literally) just told my daughter about nebulized’s Merry Christmas casserole cookies so I came back in to jot the recipe down and email it to her. I do so hope it isn’t against the rules. They just sounded so easy and yummy.

Christmas is a time for family and sharing, especially things like baking cookies. She and I cannot do that as we live over a thousand miles apart, but at least we can talk daily on the phone.