NUTTY CHICKEN

2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
3 tbs. brown sugar
3 tbs. soy sauce
1/4 cup kosher red wine or sherry
3 tbs. cornstarch
3 eggs beaten until foamy
1 1/2 cups boiling water
3 tbs. grated fresh ginger or about 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger (fresh is best)
1 BULB (not clove) of minced or pressed garlic
3 large onions sliced (medium sliced is better than fine)
3 cans–about 3 cups of sliced bamboo shoots (labeled kosher)
1 cup walnuts
1 cup unsalted cashews
1 cup pecans
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup or more oil to sauté chicken and the various nuts

In a bowl large enough to hold the pieces of chicken mix together the sugar, soy sauce and wine. This is your marinade.

Wash the chicken in cold water. Gently pierce the pieces of chicken with a fork, over the entire area of the chicken.

Placed the pieced pieces of chicken in the marinade. Make sure the chicken is fully coated with the marinade mixture.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.

Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate in marinade overnight. DO NOT DISCARD THE MARINADE! Beat the eggs until foamy.

Place the cornstarch in a plastic bag.

Remove the chicken from the marinade. DO NOT THROW OUT THE MARINADE. (I have told you twice now - this recipe will not work if you throw out the recipe. - Never mind how long it took me to get it to work WITH the marinade!)

Coat each piece of chicken with cornstarch.

Start to heat the oil in a skillet or wok.

Then dip the chicken in the egg mixture.

Place the mixture of nuts in the oil and GENTLY brown the nuts. With a slotted metal kitchen spoon remove the nuts from the oil. In the remaining oil brown the chicken, ginger, garlic, and onions. Add the boiling water-didn’t I tell you to start boiling water-OK HOT water will do. Add the bamboo shoots and marinade. Cover and cook over a LOW heat for no more than 15 minutes. Add the nut mixture and stir until the nuts are evenly distributed in the skillet. Heat for nor more than five minutes.

For a garnish cut thin slivers or red, yellow and green peepers and arrange artistically over each serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish as an added touch.