Old-Fashioned Bread-And-Butter Pudding
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
10 slices firm white bread
1/2 cup raisins
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups milk
- Heat oven to 350 F. Have ready a shallow 2-quart baking dish and a large roasting pan.
- Butter one side of bread slices. Cut each in 4 squares. Arrange in dish, buttered side up and slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with raisins.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat eggs with 1/2 cup of the sugar, the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat in milk until blended. Pour evenly over bread. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Place dish in pan. Add enough hot water to pan to come about halfway up sides of the baking dish.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from water to a rack. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.