old fashioned home cooking

crissybird! You are so lucky you live in the country! I wish I could move today! Actually - I think I would prefer a little town like Mayberry - small with just enough people in it and no big malls and shopping centers. We’ve had enough restaurants in the family and I’ve had my share of running restaurants cooking! I miss it - I’ve thought of a B & B but I’m not too keen on strange people sleeping in my home! With my luck it would be Charles Manson and Jack the Ripper and their families!

I’m Italian - but my mom believed in International cooking. I’ve lived in a few neighborhoods where I’ve gotten to meet some of the best cooks from all over - so I consider myself very lucky for that. My dad’s mom was from PA and she loved Southern cooking too. Many PA people think and cook southern!

You’re still a bit new to the site - but when you have time - check out the Search option and take a look at Depression Era recipes. I’ve posted bunches of them - if you are interested in those. And I’ve shared many oldies from the family and others passed down as well.

It’s great to know that you are interested in different types of cooking as well as home cooking and oldies!

No malls even semi close to here. No worry about that. My husband and I took this farm about 7 months ago. We don’t farm it - it’s mostly perserve land where we let the deer, pheasants, turkeys, rabbits and squirrels run loose. He is a truck driver so I am here most of the time by myself (we never had children), but I feel safe and secure every nite. Never worry about strangers coming around. We are too far away from everyone for anyone to care. We do have good friends about one and a quarter miles from here which they look out for me when he is gone.

I did think of another recipe I’d like you to look up for me. When I was growing up my mom used to take left over mashed potatoes and make potato pancakes out of them. They were so good. I remember the mashed potato part of them and also I know there was onion in them. I also know they were fried.

I will look up that string you suggested. I bet alot of things come to mind for me. My step father, used to own a restaurant also, and it actually did run during the depression era (long before my time) but I still enjoyed looking at all the old photos and such of the restaurant back then, I think he finally sold it back in the 1980’s. They even had the signs where hobo’s (back then train jumpers) could get a free meal.

I had an aunt that made potato pancakes all the time. Every time she made mashed potatoes she would make extra. Combine mashed potatoes, minced onion, flour and egg and fry in bacon fat or lard. I’ll get the old recipes for you.

Mashed Potato Latkes

4 pounds boiled, peeled potatoes
1 cup minced onion
1 cup bread crumbs
5 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter or margarine for frying

Drain potatoes well. Mix together the potatoes, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Heat butter in heavy, nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Place spoonfuls of potato mixture into the pan and flatten with the back of spoon to form pancakes. Brown pancakes on both sides. Hold pancakes on cookie tray in warm oven while completing batches. Serve warm with blue cheese and leek chutney. Makes about 24 pancakes.

KW:

Do you remember the old pizza burgers??? Where the cheese and stuff was on the inside of the burger and it was more of a yellow type cheese - not sure what it was? Was curious if any of your new books has a recipe for those in it?

Crissy

Yikes! You are bringing back too many ideas and memories for me. How about the stewed tomatoes and macaroni?

Many of the diners (take a look at my thread - A Trip Down Memory Lane for old diner recipes) would make Pizza/Italian/Stuffed Burgers - form your burgers (you need 2 for each sandwich) place Cheddar cheese on top of one burger, pepperoni slices or anything you want and top with a second burger - sealing edges. Skillet fry or grill - and most of them didn’t use pizza sauce - if they had spaghetti on the menu they would use that sauce - if not - it was chili sauce!

Here’s an old Tomatoes and Macaroni recipe:

3/4 c. (8 oz.) uncookd macaroni
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. onion, chopped
2 T. bacon drippings
2 c. tomatoes

1. Cook macaroni until tender in salted water (1 T. salt to 2 qts. water)

2. Drain, rinse and add salt and pepper.

3. Brown onion lightly in bacon drippings in saucepan. Add tomatoes. Cover and cook slowly for one hour.

4. Add macaroni. Heat thoroughly.

I would start the tomates first, and a half hour or so into cooking them I would put my water on to boil and cook my macaroni.

Stewed Tomatoes

1 can (#2) tomatoes
2 T. butter or margarine
Salt and pepper to taste
1 t. sugar

Place tomatoes in 2-qt. covered saucepan. Turn heat to high to bring tomatoes to steaming point. Then simmer 5 minutes. Add butter or margarine, salt, pepper and sugar. Bread cubes may be added for thickening, or 2 T. thick cream added just before serving.

Steamed or Boiled Summer Squash

Wash, quarter, or cut in thick slices. Steam or cook in small quality of boiling salted water. Drain thoroughly, mash and season with butter, salt and pepper.

Turnips

Wash, peel and cut in quarters. Cook uncovered in boiling salted water until tender. Drain, mash; just before serving add salt, pepper and butter, or serve without mashing.

Maple Custard

4 egg yolks
3/4 c. maple syrup
3 c. milk
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1 t. maple flavoring
4 egg whites
1/8 t. salt

Beat egg yolks, add maple syrup and milk; add maple flavor. Place 4 egg whites and 1/8 t. salt on platter and beat stiff. Fold custard into whites. Fill buttered custard cups. Place in pan of hot water and bake 325* until firm.

Chicken or Turkey Shortcake

Baking powder biscuits
2 c. gravy OR
2 c. White Sauce (recipe above)
1 1/2 c. cooked cold poultry (chicken or turkey)

Add poultry to gravy/sauce and heat through. Bake biscuits. When finished baking, split and cover one half generously with poultry mixture; top with other half of biscuit. Serve.

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 c. flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
4 T. butter or other shortening
3/4 c. milk

Sift dry ingredients; add butter, working with a fork. Add milk to make a soft dough. Place on floured board and toss lightly until the outer surface looks smooth. Roll 1/2-inch thick and cut with floured cutter. Place on greased pan. Bake 475* about 12 minutes.

New England Beef Stew

3 1/2 lbs. beef
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 turnip, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 T. melted fat
5 potatoes
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. flour
Water
Dumplings

Cut beef into small pieces for stewing. Dredge in flour and seasoning; brown in melted fat with onion. Cover meat and onions with water and allow to simmer 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Half hour before serving, add the other vegetables; 15 minutes before serving, add dumplings. When done, thicken the gravy with flour and serve.

Dumplings

1 1/2 c. flour, sifted
1 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1 egg

To the beaten egg, add salt and milk and stir into the flour to form a smooth batter. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling salted water and cook 15 minutes. Drain in colander. These may be served with hot fat poured over them, or they may be reheated in meat gravy or stew.

Breaded Veal Cutlet

Use a slice of veal from either the rib or leg, cut 1/2-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper. Dip in bread crumbs, then in beaten egg and again in crumbs. Fry for about 30 minutes, reducing the heat after the meat has become brown. Serve with tomato sauce.

Tomato Sauce

2 c. canned tomatoes OR 6 fresh tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 T. flour
1 1/2 T. butter
1 t. sugar
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. celery, sliced
1/2 t. salt

Combine all ingredients with the exception of flour and butter. Cook for 15 minutes and strain. Melt butter and stir in flour; add strained tomato mixture and cook until mixture thickens.

Cheese Crackers

1/2 lb. American cheese
1 1/2 T. melted butter
Paprika
Saltines

Grate the cheese and stir in melted butter; blending until smooth. Spread on saltines, sprinkle with paprika and put under broiler to brown. Serve hot.

Egg Frizzle

4 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 c. milk
4 t. butter
1/4 lb. chipped beef

Cover beef with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and dry. Melt butter in skillet; add beef and heat thoroughly. Beat eggs, add seasonings and milk; mix well. Pour over beef and stir frequently until eggs have cooked.

Creamed Celery on Toast

2 c. celery, cut up
2 c. hot water
1 1/2 c. milk
2 T. butter
3 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Cook celery in hot water until tender (about 30 minutes). Melt butter, add flour and blend. Stir in milk and cook until thick, stirring constantly. Combine celery and liquid with cream sauce. Serve on toast.