2 tsp salt
1 cup warm milk
1 pkg dry yeast
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp peanut oil

CHEESE
2 cups brick
1 cup American

To make sauce: Saute onions in olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.

To make dough: Melt margarine in warm milk and then add yeast. Slowly add liquid to flour and work with hands until smooth. Cover with towel and let rise for 90 minutes. Punch down and knead gently for a few seconds.

Press dough into cookie sheet that is greased with peanut oil and dusted with cornmeal. Brush top of crust with olive oil and let rise for another 30 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, until dough is half-baked.

Remove from oven, and turn up temperature to 425. Top warm shell with up to 2 ladles of sauce and bake for another 10 minutes. Top with grated cheese (2 parts brick to 1 part American) and bake for another 5 minutes.

Old Forge-Style Victory Pig Pizza

Eateries in and around Old Forge, a suburb of Scranton, Pa. specialize in pies that sport a thick crust topped with red sauce and mild cheese. Several years ago, a version of this recipe was posted on the internet, to which the owner of the far-famed Victory Pig pizzeria replied, “You have no clue of how my grandmother and grandfather made our pizza.… The real recipe will go to the grave with me!” So, this is NOT the genuine article, but it makes a pretty good facsimile to the rich, oily pizza that has made Victory Pig a local legend.

For the Dough:

2 packages dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2½ cup sifted all-purpose flour
½ cup olive oil and more

For the Topping:

1 (16-oz) can whole tomatoes
1 large sweet onion, sliced as thin as possible
8 oz shredded Muenster cheese
Salt, pepper, oregano to taste,, oregano to taste

Proof the yeast by mixing the two packets with ½ cup of the warm water. When foamy, combine it with the rest of the water, the sugar, salt and flour. Knead the dough on a floured board a good 5 minutes, until smooth and silky, adding flour if necessary to keep it from getting sticky. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let it rise 1 hour.

Coat a half-size cookie sheet (18"x13") with the ½ cup of oil, using even more if necessary to make sure the whole sheet and the sides are fully and thickly coated.

Punch the dough down and hand stretch it until it is about the size of the cookie sheet. (If you try to pat it into the sheet, the oil will encourage it to shrink up too much. Place it into the sheet and let it rise again 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Brush the top of the dough liberally with more oil, then spread half the cheese over the dough. Hand-crush the tomatoes so they still are fairly chunky and spread them over the cheese. Top the tomatoes with the sliced onions, then add the remaining cheese and salt, pepper and oregano to taste.

Bake 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown. Cut into squares to serve.

Kitchen Counter

Serves 4 to 6. Makes 1 (18x13-inch) pizza. to 6. Makes 1 (18x13-inch) pizza.

It has been said that Victory Pig does not use Muenster. They use a 40 lb. block of White pizza cheddar cut into blocks and comments have been made about the canned tomatoes (I’m a hand-crusher - been like that all my life) being too watery and that puree must be added, etc.

You will see that by comparing the above recipes.

Our family pizza recipe (which I have been making for 60 years) is crushed (by hand) whole tomatoes made into a sauce on the stovetop, thickened, seasoned, cooled and used (a nice make-ahead). Have there been times I added puree? Sure - depends on who I am serving, etc. For out original family pizza - hand crushed whole tomatoes and diced onions done as above and many times no cheese or just a very slight grating of pecorino romano. And my pizzas are thick like pictured on FB. That’s the way we like them.

so the first one is correct? would love to be able to make old forge pizza

if you are referring to the while cheddar pizza cheese - there is a chance that no one could find it and they substituted muenster - as far as the sauce goes - puree would thicken it more unless you make your own sauce from crushed tomatoes

both recipes call for thin sliced onion or chopped onion - the thinner and smaller the better

one uses peanut oil - I don’t like that for pizza - to me it ruins the taste - I use olive oil or corn oil

I hope you try both recipes and give us your feedback…

in recipe #1 - I would not use peanut oil

and if I were using cheese I would prefer either fresh grated pecorino romano and some cannot eat pizza without cheese so add a nice blend of Italian cheeses