Omg - who is wrong and who is right?

[b]Okay - it’s Sunday morning and we all look forward to enjoying the Sunday paper, reading ads, looking at sale papers and at this time of the year, we check out the recipes that are including in the coupon sections that they hand out with the paper.

Of course I am drawn to the recipes -

sure as shootin’

take a look at this recipe:

Pumpkin Apple Pie

Yield:
8 servings Prep Time:
10 minutes Bake Time:
50-55 minutes Chill Time:
2 hours

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon Karo® Corn Syrup OR Karo® Lite Syrup
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 can (5 fluid ounces) evaporated milk

1 can (21 ounces) Comstock® or Wilderness® Apple Pie Filling

1 (9-inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust

MIX sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl. Add egg and beat slightly. Add syrup, pumpkin and evaporated milk; blend well.

SPREAD apple pie filling in pie crust. Gently pour pumpkin filling over the apples.

BAKE in a 425°F preheated oven for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in pie center comes out clean.

CHILL a minimum of 2 hours before serving.

WHHHAAATTTTTT???

Am I THAT old that I don’t understand this recipe?

Or do they need to find an editor that is not blind and knows something about baking pies?

Or is it me?

Did you read this recipe? Please take a look -

What am I looking at?

1/4 TEASPOON Karo syrup

???

If their Classic Pumpkin Pie has 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup Karo syrup in the ingredient list, why is this 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 TEASPOON Karo syrup - shouldn’t it read 1/4 CUP???

To me - that cannot be right. So I called their customer service, which of course is closed today and I cannot call again until tomorrow - 9 to 4 Central time.

I honestly can’t wait to hear their response on this one!

Do you realize - if this is incorrect - how many will follow that recipe because it is a Brand Name recipe and those that write them are supposed to put out correct recipes? Not only was it in the coupon section printed that way, but it is also on their site.

I know I am old(er), and I know I’ve been 'round the kitchen a few times (better than being 'round the block a few times!) but in all my years of baking - I have NEVER seen 1/4 TEASPOON of Karo in a pie recipe! Why use it to begin with at that measurement!!!

Maybe it’s me - but I will know tomorrow and I will edit this post and let you know what they say…
[b]

1/4 cup is correct. The recipe is available on Land O’Lakes website here:

Land O’Lakes: Butter, Cheese, Dairy and Deli Products

I did a google search for “pumpkin apple pie Karo” to find it.

Isn’t it amazing that the Karo site actually posted this recipe, it has been copied and sent out to millions of newspapers and it is incorrect???

Many novice bakers will not catch this error and their pies are not going to turn out.

I can’t wait to see how Karo’s customer service handles my call tomorrow!

Many pies will not turn out this year!

BTW - check it out at

recipefortogetherness.com

A nice big banner in the coupon section of the paper today -

UPDATE -

I just got off the phone with customer service - the recipe was incorrectly printed in the paper and on their site. The customer service rep assured me that it WAS corrected on the site - as of our conversation - it wasn’t - and I told her that it needed to be changed.

This is the correct recipe - and I was right - 1/4 cup not 1/4 teaspoon Karo syrup:

Pumpkin Apple Pie

Yield:
8 servings Prep Time:
10 minutes Bake Time:
2 hours

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup Karo® Corn Syrup OR Karo® Lite Syrup
1 cup canned pumpkin

MIX sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl. Add egg and beat slightly. Add syrup, pumpkin and evaporated milk; blend well.

SPREAD apple pie filling in pie crust. Gently pour pumpkin filling over the apples.

BAKE in a 425°F preheated oven for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in pie center comes out clean.

UPDATE -

I just got off the phone with customer service - the recipe was incorrectly printed in the paper and on their site. The customer service rep assured me that it WAS corrected on the site - as of our conversation - it wasn’t - and I told her that it needed to be changed.

This is the correct recipe - and I was right - 1/4 cup not 1/4 teaspoon Karo syrup:

Pumpkin Apple Pie

Yield:
8 servings Prep Time:
10 minutes Bake Time:
2 hours

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup Karo® Corn Syrup OR Karo® Lite Syrup
1 cup canned pumpkin

Thanks for getting it clarified. This sounds ideal for Thanksgiving.

I wasn’t planning on using this recipe, but wow, a lot of people would have been in trouble. Great job noticing that mistake

Hey there everyone i was just introduceing myself here im a first time visitor who hopes to become a daily reader!

Thank you - but at this time of the year many are baking and many are looking for something a little different.

You see a recipe by a brand name and you trust it.

And if it is wrong it is a waste of time, money and energy and is a big disappointment.

But like I have always said - NEVER try out a new recipe when it is a special occasion or guests are coming. You just don’t know if the recipe is correct or if anyone would like it. Make it ahead of time to try - then you’ll know.

Well, we know for sure that 1/4 t. is wrong. Just waive the bottle over the bowl 3 times saying “Karo, Karo, Karo.” This will have the same effect and save time.
I looked at several recipies for plain pumpkin pie. The total sugar varies from 1/3-2/3cup per 1 cup of pumpkin filling. So, correcting the Karo to 1/4 cup plus the 1/4 cup granular sugar is 1/2 cup total sugar. That is right down the middle.
For the orginal recipe here there is likely enough apple pie filling that it might not be that big of a “mistake” in the final product. If you already made the pies try correcting it by adding more sugar to the whipped topping.
Now as for getting Karo to correct their error don’t hold your breath. Arrogance at large companies is always a problem. In order for Karo to make the correction they need to recognize and admit to a mistake. Some individual is responsible and this same person will likely be the one to make the correction. It sounds like the media dispersion is massive and so therefore is the mistake. This person will want it all just to fade away. Bringing light to the isseu makes him look “STUPID” and that just can’t happen. He or she may even feel their job security is on the line.
Baklava Man

and to think this recipe was posted incorrectly in millions of newspapers!

I just feel bad for the beginners that wouldn’t realize it!

I guess a job as a proof reader is fairly easy because no-one really understands what they are reading anyhow