Orange Crème French Toast

Orange Crème French Toast

Reminiscent of the Dreamsicles we had when we were kids, this is especially nice if you mix a little orange liqueur with your syrup…
Ingredients:
One loaf of day-old French bread
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 rounded tablespoon sour cream
Zest of an orange
Mexican vanilla

6 large eggs
Approx 1 1/2 cups whole milk
Oil for the griddle
Cinnamon
Nutmeg, fresh ground if possible
Powdered Sugar
Orange slices to garnish

1. Now, I use a tablespoon of Mexican vanilla . Blend this vanilla into the cream cheese, powdered sugar, sour cream and orange zest. Mix well. Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight, to let the orange flavor blend into the cream cheese mixture.

2. In the morning, mix eggs & milk, in a 1:1 ratio. (For two people, I use three eggs. I measure them into a measuring cup, and then pour in that much milk.) Whisk together with a little Mexican vanilla.

3. Slice the day-old French bread into 1 & 1/2 inch thick slices. Cut a pocket into each slice and fill generously with the cream cheese mixture. Dunk into the eggs & milk blend, allowing your French bread to soak it up. Grill on an oiled, preheated griddle on medium heat. Sprinkle with a scant amount of cinnamon and nutmeg. Don’t be too eager! You want the egg mixture to set. Turn once.

4. Dust with powdered sugar, garnish with fresh slices of orange, and serve immediately with warmed maple syrup. Strawberry syrup is dynamite with this French toast! Looks lovely garnished with a bit of the orange zest, too, if you have some nice long pieces.