Pan con Tomate

A delicious recipe from my country. A Mediterranean pleasure. Bread, olive oil, tomato and garlic. Simple but delicious. A wonderful side and a brilliant way of preparing bread for a sandwich. This means that you can eat it just like that or using the preparation of Pan con Tomate to make your favourite sandwich. Let’s start.

Ingredients:

Your favourite bread, baguettes, ciabatta… But do not use just regular white bread.
Ripe tomatoes
Some cloves of garlic
Some extra virgin olive oil
Some salt to taste

Not much, is it? It is enough, believe me. Just that. Do not add anything else.
We just have to cut the bread. Do it in the way you prefer. Bear in mind that we will have to rub the tomato on the bread.
Once you have the bread ready, cut some tomatoes in half and rub them on the bread. You will do the same with the cloves of garlic. Cut them in half and rub them on your pieces of bread. Chop more garlic and add the little pieces of garlic to the bread.
And finally, add some extra virgin olive oil to the bread. Add some salt to taste and enjoy this wonderful Spanish delicacy.

Sounds similar to Bruschetta

2 medium tomatoes, chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, ripped up (6 to 7)
2 cloves garlic, (1 halved, 1 chopped)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt to tast
8 slices Italian bread, sliced about 1/2 inch thick

1. Preheat your broiler, grill or toaster oven. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, chopped garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Toss gently to evenly coat the mixture with oil.

2. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet or rack and allow to broil or grill, flipping them over once, until each side is lightly toasted. (This should take about 2 minutes!)

3. Remove the toast from heat and rub one side of each piece with the halved garlic.

4. Top each slice of bread with the tomato mixture. Serve alone or with a wonderful slice of salty Italian cheese, like parmeggiano reggiano or ricotta salata.

Author Notes
**You can also mix in some chopped up olives, cucumbers or capers (my favorite because they’re salty)… SUPER easy and delicious!