Panda Express Glazed Lemon Chicken
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces
1 large egg
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of white pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use + vegetable oil for deep frying
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided use
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-1/2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- In a large bowl, mix together egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix well. Stir in chicken pieces.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Add chicken pieces, tossing to coat.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a wok or deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry for 4-5 minutes until golden crisp (but avoid overcooking the chicken). When done remove chicken from oil with tongs and drain on paper towels.
- Clean wok and heat for 15 seconds over high heat. Lower to medium high and add reserved 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir try until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add red pepper flakes and green onions, then the rice wine, stirring for a few seconds.
- Add lemon sauce and bring to a boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well incorporated.
- Stir reserved 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into 1/4 cup water and add to chicken. Heat until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.