perfect cheese ball recipe

I am in search of the perfect cheese ball recipe! I have tried many and not quite satisfied, looking for something different with lots of flavor. I’d appreciate the expertise of anyone out there! Thank you!

Kit :?

2 - 8 oz packages of cream cheese
8 oz of your favorite french onion dip
2 small or one large can of black olives - sliced
1 lb of shredded colby jack cheese
about 1 cup of chopped pecans

Allow the cream cheese to soften then combine with dip until smooth. Mix in the olives and colby jack cheese. Form into a ball or log and roll in the chopped pecans. Serve with your favorite crackers.

This is the cheese ball that everyone in my family asks for on special occasions. I hope that you like it too.

I posted an easy taco cheese ball a few (?) days ago. If you need it spicier, just add another pkg of seasoning or some cayenne and/or crushed red pepper flakes to “kick it up a notch”.

My family loves the taco cheese ball with garden vegetable or ranch flavored crackers.

I know this is a very old post, but I would like to add my “recipe” to this file.

I grate sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, let it come to room temperature. Then mix until it gets smooth, adding a little liquid. I like it best with wine. Port wine is good, but I use whatever I have. You can also make it with beer or brandy. If I am making it for someone who might be offended by the alcohol, then I use a little milk or cream. I have also made it with Swiss cheese. Sometimes with Swiss you need to add a little butter to get it to come smooth. You want it a little soft but firm enough to hold it’s shape. If I have to make it with only medium cheese I may add a drop of Tabasco sauce or a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce.

Anyhow, just mix, mix, mix. Be sure you have a sturdy mixer. I have burned out the motor on a couple of light weight mixers making this when the cheese was too cold when I started it.

When it is the right consistency and tastes good (wine flavor will weaken in a few hours) I shape into balls or logs and roll in finely chopped nuts, usually walnuts or pecans. I have made an egg shaped ball and applied toasted sliced almonds one at a time, overlapping, to make it look like a pine cone, but that is a lot of work. Sometimes when I am making this for Christmas I roll balls in parsley or paprika.

One year at Christmas I had found some really cute inexpensive little baskets about four or five inches by about three inches. I made golf ball sized cheese balls, wrapped in plastic wrap, took little stacks of seeded round crackers, about 8 crackers, which I wrapped in plastic wrap, put into the basket with a little green leftover Easter grass, three or four candy kisses and a small candy cane. I wrapped the whole thing in plastic wrap with a few strands of curled ribbon taped to the name tag. They looked expensive, and I was able to make these for less than $2.00.

Sharon

Blue Cheese Ball (30 appetizer servings)
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 oz. blue cheese, softened
6 oz. processed cheddar cheese spread
2 T grated onion
1 t Worcestershire sauce
⅛ t salt
1 c ground pecans
½ c finely chopped parsley

In a medium bowl, combine cheeses, onion, Worcestershire sauce and msg. Stir in ½ cup pecans and ¼ cup parsley. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Refrigerate overnight. About 1 hour before serving, roll the cheese ball in the remaining pecans and parsley. Place on serving tray and surround with assorted crackers.

Brandy Cheese Balls (1½ lbs. or 20 - 24 appetizer servings)
1 lb. extra sharp cheddar, finely shredded
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T brandy or 1 T Worcestershire
⅛ t cayenne pepper
⅛ t salt
¼ c minced parsley or finely chopped nuts

In a large bowl mix all ingredients except parsley or nuts. Cream together until well blended. Spoon the cheese onto a piece of plastic wrap and mold into a ball. Chill. Roll in parsley or nuts and place on a serving dish. Bring to room temperature. Serve with sliced French bread and apples wedges.

Pineapple Cheese Ball

8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/8 cup chopped onion
1 small can crushed pineapple (about 6 oz), well drained
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Combine cream cheese, green pepper, onion, pineapple and 1 cup pecans. Form into 1 large ball. Roll into remainingn 1/2 cup pecans. Cover and regrigerate. Serve with crackers.

Pumpkin Cheese Ball

2 pkg (3 oz each) cream cheese
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dry sherry
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley

Combine cheeses, pumpkin, garlic, sherry and salt in mixer bowl. Beat until creamy. Cover and chill 1 hour. Mix nuts and parlsey in dish. Shape cheese into ball and roll into nut mixture. Serve with sliced pears, apples, and crackers.

Recipe Name: CC’S CHEESE BALL
Category: APPETIZER
Serves: 12

SOURCE	CC                                         

16 Ounce Cream cheese
15 Each Olives , Chopped fine
3 Large Garlic clove, minced
1 Cup Walnuts, chopped

In a mixing bowl place all the ingredients except the walnuts. Mix well and shape into a ball. If mixture is to stiff add some of the juice from the jar of olives. Roll shaped ball around in different bowl of chopped walnuts to cover. Chill and serve with favorite crackers.

bw’s notes: add extra garlic and a 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.