Perogies

Dough:

3-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sour cream
¾ tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp salt
¾ cup water
1 egg, room temperature

Mix all ingredients together. Roll dough to desired thickness (1/8 or ¼ inch). Cut dough into circles (whatever size you want your perogies to be).

Filling:

Potatoes (6 to 8 “ depends on size of potatoes)
Velveeta cheese (block package)
Sauted onions (desired amount)
Bacon, cooked and chopped (desired amount)
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes. When potatoes are done, mash the potatoes and add other ingredients while potatoes are still hot so that cheese melts. Set aside and let cool. (Add more cheese if you like them cheesier, or less). I this step because it depends on size of potatoes and how much cheese, onions, and bacon you like. You can omit the onions and bacon in the filling and add them later in the frying process.

Put spoonful of filling in center of each dough circle, fold, and press edges together to seal (make sure it’s sealed properly or filling will ooze out when you boil them).

Cooking Method:

Bring large pot of water to a bubbling boil. Drop a few perogies at a time. When perogies come up to the surface, take them out. Fry perogies in butter until slightly golden brown, and serve with sour cream and chopped chives (I like mine with gravy!).

NOTE: You can freeze perogies after you’ve filled them. Just arrange them in single layer on cooking sheets until frozen solid and put them into freezer bags. To cook, just drop frozen perogies into boiling water and proceed as instructed above.