1/2 c Elbow macaroni
4 c Potatoes, mashed
3 tb Parmesan cheese
2 tb Minced dry onion
12 Slices American cheese
2 tb Margarine
1/2 lb Butter
4 lg Onions, diced

Mix potatoes, cheese and dry onion. Saute raw onions in margarine and butter. Grease 2-quart casserole. Layer ingredients as follows: 1/3 of elbows, 4 slices cheese, 1/3 of potato mixture and 1/2 of onions. Repeat two more times, ending with potato mixture. Dot with butter, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

KW,

I made this today and it was AWESOME! There is nothing better than getting the flavors of good dishes without the work. Don’t get me wrong, there isn’t anything like a well made pierogi but if you have the taste for one, and don’t want to “roll the dough,” so to speak, this dish hits the spot. A dollop or two of sour cream on your plate and there it is!

Thanks, Paula

You’re very welcomed Paula!

And I agree with you - there is nothing like a homemade pierogi - but there are times you just haven’t got the time for it! I have played with this and added sauerkraut (rinsed and drained) and sliced mushrooms as well. You can leave out the potates and use any type of “hearty” pasta. I’ve even left off the cheese and used buttered crumbs. Remember to saute your kraut with fresh sliced onions! mmmmmmm

You know, I thought the same thing, KW. My favorite pierogi’s are sauerkraut. I think the next time I’m going to add cabbage, sauerkraut and mushrooms. Also, more pasta. Can I ask why 2T of margerine instead of butter? Oil, perhaps?

Take care, Paula