Pizza Crust Recipe request

I know it is a longshot but has anyone ever figured out Pietro’s Pizza crust recipe in Oregon. It’s thin and bubbly and one of my fondest memories. I am new here and was just hoping for some insight.

Part of the reason pizzaria pizzas get so crisp and bubbly is the pizza ovens get much hotter than a home oven.

Yeah I know this to be true. But there is also something else about their crust I am sure it is Baking powder or Baking soda plus some other thing. Thanks

Actually, I’ve got a friend who managed a top pizza joint for 8 years.
He makes a really great homemade crust, making us all pizza when we play cards at his place. He has a hard time judging the right temp., at times burning or undercooking the crust, but its as close to a pizza shop I’ve seen. His secret, it takes him all day to make it. Kneading it after it rises, over and over again. And a lot of kneading, such as a pizza shop uses their commercial mixer to do.
The more ya’ knead, the better the gluten does to connect to one another, making the elasticity to create the great air bubbles as the crust cooks.
Too much work for me…I’ll stick with my favorite pizza shop.

ps~AND NEVER BAKING SODA OR BAKING POWDER~only yeast.

Get a pizza stone for your oven. It makes a lot of difference, even when you cook a supermarket frozen pizza on it. It makes a crisp crust. They start at about $ 15.00.

Pizza is almost everyone’s favorite and each and every household makes it differently. Let’s explore some basic pizza dough and toppings and many other various crusts as well. I had many request of yeast free pizza dough recipe and recently I tried no yeast pizza crust recipe from my mother-in-law’s old recipe book, and it turned out really really great. There are millions of variations for making pizza.

Yeast free Pizza dough:

Ingredients:

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

2/3 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Pizza toppings:

Tomato sauce

vegetables of your choice

cheese

pizza seasoning

Direction:
Mix flour, salt, baking powder and water. Knead on floured counter just until workable and spreadable, about 2 minutes. Put on pizza pan, with fingers spread vegetable oil on crust (helps so tomato sauce won’t soak in crust) then put tomato sauce on, then vegetables of your choice, then pizza seasoning, next put on mushrooms and cheese on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. This pizza seasoning can be bought, it has all your dried spices all together and you just sprinkle it on.

California Style Thin Crust Pizza

The recipes that follow are from “Pizza California Style” by Norman Kolpas (Contemporary Books).

[i]For each pizza, place a pizza brick, baking tiles or heavy baking sheet in a cold oven before preheating. Cut each batch of Standard Pizza Dough into four equal pieces, and place the first piece on a work surface sprinkled with semolina. Press dough with the heels of your hands to flatten. Lift and gently pull dough to stretch into an eight-inch circle. With your fingertips, form a half-inch rim around the edge. Repeat with remaining balls of dough.

For baking, carefully slide a pizza paddle, wide thin spatula or rimless baking sheet under each pizza, transferring to the preheated brick in the oven. With a slight push, slide pizza off paddle onto the baking surface.[/i]

STANDARD PIZZA DOUGH

1 envelope dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and half the sugar in one-half cup of lukewarm water. Set aside until mixture begins to foam, three to five minutes.

In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine flour, Parmesan,

salt and remaining sugar. Pulse several times to blend. With machine running, pour yeast mixture and oil through feed tube. Gradually add enough of remaining water to form smooth dough. Continue processing just until dough forms ball.

Transfer dough to large oiled bowl. Cover bowl with damp kitchen towel and let rise 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled. (Alternatively, let dough rise in a refrigerator several hours.)

Use immediately in pizza recipe or wrap each ball securely in plastic wrap and place in freezer. Dough will keep well for several weeks. Defrost at room temperature two to three hours or all day in refrigerator. Makes about 1 1/2 pounds dough, enough for four 8-inch pizzas.

This recipe will make enough sauce for two separate pizza recipes - eight 8-inch pizzas in all. If you’re making only four pizzas (that is, one recipe), you can either halve the ingredients or store the remainder in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in an airtight container in the freezer for several months.

If absolutely necessary, substitute the best seasoned commercial pizza or marinara sauce you can find.

PIZZA TOMATO SAUCE

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 can (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 basil leaves, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried basil)

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and saute until transparent, three to five minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, marjoram, salt and basil leaves. Reduce heat slightly, and simmer, stirring frequently, until thick, 25 to 30 minutes. Makes about two cups. Use as directed below.

For this recipe, if you can’t find fresh mozzarella, substitute the best regular mozzarella you can find.

FRESH MOZZARELLA PIZZA WITH FRESH HERBS

Standard Pizza Dough (recipe above)
1 cup Pizza Tomato Sauce (recipe above)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

Make four 8-inch pies from Standard Pizza Dough, as directed above. Spread one-quarter cup of Pizza Tomato Sauce on each pie, up to the rim. Sprinkle sauce with oregano, thyme and rosemary. Arrange mozzarella slices over each pizza. In a preheated 550-degree oven, bake as directed above for eight to 10 minutes, or until dough is browned and crisp and cheese is golden and bubbly. Makes four servings.

PIZZA WITH ASPARAGUS TIPS

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
5 ounces Romano cheese, grated
4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
2 dozen asparagus spears, trimmed to 4-inch tips
Freshly ground black pepper

In heavy saucepan, bring cream to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and slowly stir in Romano and Parmesan. Simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce is very thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Bring large pan of lightly salted water to boil. Add asparagus and boil 30 seconds. Immediately drain, and rinse asparagus under cold running water. Drain and pat asparagus dry.

Make four 8-inch pies from the Standard Pizza Dough, as directed previously. Divide half of cheese sauce between dough circles, spreading evenly up to rims. Season generously with black pepper. Arrange asparagus spears in spoke fashion over each pizza with tips slightly overlapping rims. Spoon remaining sauce over asparagus, leaving asparagus tips uncovered.

Bake pies in preheated 550-degree oven for eight to 10 minutes or until dough is browned and crisp, and cheese is golden and bubbly. Makes four servings.

Domestic salmon caviar is the low-priced way of adding an elegant touch to this recipe.

SMOKED SALMON, BOURSIN, CHIVES AND SALMON CAVIAR

8 ounces Boursin cheese, at room temperature
3/4 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
1 jar (4 ounces) salmon caviar
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Make four 8-inch pies from the Standard Pizza Dough, as previously directed. Divide cheese among pies, spreading evenly up to rims. Bake pies in preheated 550-degree oven for eight to 10 minutes, or until dough is browned and crisp and cheese is bubbly. Remove pizzas from oven and arrange smoked salmon on top of each. Sprinkle caviar and chives on top of each pizza and cut into wedges. Serve with lemon wedges. Makes four servings.

Source: Philadelphia Enquirer newspaper, July 05, 1989

Food Processor Pizza Dough

A good pizza dough is simple to prepare in advance, refrigerate, roll and quickly top with a variety of cheeses, meats, vegetables and herbs. Baking time is about 10 minutes.

Use a Dough Starter

Here, a chewy dough is achieved by using a dough starter made from flour, water and yeast. Dough is mixed quickly by combining starter with other ingredients in the processor work bowl and processing.

This is a one-step technique for mixing yeast dough designed to reduce difficulties with pouring yeast starters and other liquids through the small feed tube openings that are becoming standard on so many processors.

One-step processing reduces messy spills and makes kneading yeast dough especially easy. Total processing time should be less than a minute, and usually the dough will be thoroughly kneaded within 40 seconds.

After the dough has risen it may be used immediately or divided in half, shaped into cushion-like discs and refrigerated in an airtight bag for up to one week. It is not necessary to freeze dough, provided most of the air is removed from the bag. Dough that has aged longer than 24 hours develops acids, which create a very faint sourdough flavor. Many bakers believe that day-old pizza dough produces a superior crust.

Superior Texture

Similarly, baking pizza on a preheated stone (rather than metal) surface yields a crust of superior texture. Although a baking stone and peel (used to transfer pizzas to and from the stone) is not standard equipment in most kitchens, anyone seriously interested in baking bread or pizza might consider purchasing one. Baking stones are available at many kitchen supply stores.

Note that pizza ingredients call for shredded cheese. Prepare Fontina and provolone cheese by removing the rinds and cutting the cheese into chunks. Grate by using the metal blade and processing with two-second pulses to a ground consistency. SINGLE-SERVING PIZZAS

3/4 teaspoon dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
Bread flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons mild olive oil or vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese, shredded
12 thin slices air-dried Italian sausage or 2 ounces cooked, crumbled fresh Italian sausage
8 pieces marinated artichoke hearts, drained and patted dry
2 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (green part only)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

For starter, combine yeast and 1/3 cup water in mixing bowl or 1-quart airtight container. Stir well, then stir in 1/2 cup flour to form thick paste. Cover tightly and set aside until doubled, about 2 hours. (May cover tightly and refrigerate up to 5 days).

Insert metal blade in processor container. Add 1 1/4 cups flour, salt, remaining 1/3 cup water and starter. Process 40 seconds or until dough forms soft, moist (but not sticky) ball. Rinse large mixing bowl with warm water. Without drying bowl, add dough and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Set aside until dough triples, 2 to 3 hours.

Pull risen dough from bowl without kneading. Cut dough in half. Cover and set dough pieces aside 10 minutes or knead each piece into 4-inch-diameter cushion shape, wrap airtight and refrigerate up to 1 week.

Mix garlic and oil and set aside. Lightly flour work surface. Roll each piece dough to 9-inch circle, rotating and stretching as you work. Transfer dough to baking sheet.

Brush each dough circle generously with garlic oil. Cover surface of dough with 3/4 cup Fontina, leaving 1/2-inch border at edge. Arrange 6 sausage slices (or half of cooked crumbled sausage) on each dough round over Fontina. Arrange 4 artichoke pieces on each. Sprinkle each with half of provolone, half of green onions and 1/2 teaspoon seasoning. Drizzle 1 teaspoon garlic oil over each pizza.

Bake on lowest oven rack at 350 degrees 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese bubbles and bottom of crust is lightly brown. Serve immediately. Makes 2 (9-inch) pizzas.

Source: Los Angeles Times newspaper, December 28, 1986

Thanks everyone, I have the Pizza stone, the oven stays hot up to 550 with a cycle of -8 degrees during baking times. I do make a good pizza for the most part but if you haven’t tried this particular joint it’s very hard to describe the difference.

Insanity - you have a great point about the taking a day to knead, I frequently let the dough cold rise in the fridge first and then continue with kneading and resting the next day. this has made a wonderful difference.

Thanks again everyone.

They may use different flour than available from a supermarket. They may use dough conditioners, they may use subtle flavorings in the dough. They may use different kinds of yeast than available in the supermarket. There are so many variables.

Hey Darkstagg,
I too have been scouring the internet looking for a Pietro’s crust recipe. Through trial and error over the last few weeks I’ve come pretty close; I was just looking to see if someone had a definitive recipe. I’ll share what I know and hopefully it helps. I buy Fred Meyer dough and let it sit for a couple hours at room temperature before attempting to roll it out. Once I get it good and thin, I lightly flour it, fold it over a couple times and re-roll it. The flour keeps the layers from totally melding together, and I think this helps achieve the separation of the bottom crispy layer and the puffy top layer. I place the pizza on a thin layer of corn meal and bake at 350F. I’ve found that a lower temperature and a longer cooking time gives better results. Good luck.

Serves: 6 Servings
Ingredients:

Mushroom Pizza
1 1/2 c Flour (or a little less)
1/2 ts Sugar
3/4 c Lo-fat Cottage cheese,draine
Egg
1 ts Dried Basil, crushed
Med Green / Sweet Red Pepper
1 c Shredded Mozzarella Cheese *
1 pk Active dry Yeast
1 ts Cooking oil
1 tb Cornmeal
2 tb Grated Parmesan Cheese
Clove Garlic, minced
1 c Sliced fresh Mushrooms
Instructions:

• part-skim
    For crust, mix 3/4 cup of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and 1/4 t salt.
    Add oil and 1/2 cup warm water (120-130 deg). Beat with electric mixer on
    low speed 30 seconds, scraping the bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir
    in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Then, knead in enough
    remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and
    elastic (5 minutes total).
    Shape into a ball
    Place in a greased bowl;
    turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place till double (about 30 minutes).
    Punch down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
    On a floured surface roll dough into a 14″ circle. Place on a pizza pan
    sprayed with Pam and sprinkled with the cornmeal. Build up edges slightly.
    Bake crust in 425 deg F oven about 10 minutes or lightly browned.
    In a blender combine cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic,
    and 1/8 t pepper. Cover; blend till smooth. Spread over hot crust. Cut
    green pepper into rings. Place a top pizza with mushrooms
    Sprinkle with
    Mozzarella. Bake in 425 deg oven till hot.

Per serving: 224 calories, 15 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 60
mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 212 mg potassium.

Actually, I’ve got a friend who managed a top pizza joint for 8 years.

And???

Hey…I just found your post…I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to their pizza. I have been working on that recipe for years, finally I think I figured it out. Not sure but it has a distinct taste to it…I thought it was beer in the dough…but I think its just using extra yeast that gives it that certain taste. Try it out…you’ll see what I’m talking about.
I’ve broke some recipe secrets in the past and I think I have this one finally done.
It has more of a yeasty taste then reg. pizza crust. Its diff. then any other ive tried.
hope that helps. let me know what you think… miss diana at montana dot commmmmmmmmm

One thing that adds a lot of flavor to pizza dough is to place the dough in a covered bowl and let in rise in an off oven (with the oven light on for heat) for about 8 hours. For even more flavor, punch down the dough that has risen for 8 hours, and place it in a zip lock bag. Place the dough in the fridge overnight. These two things allow the dough to develop flavor from the yeast. The house smells wonderful when you bake a pizza with dough treated like this.

Another thing is it has that taste as if it sits for along time and the yeast has time to age a bit for a day or two. Almost like the Sour dough taste…but not so strong…just something I thought about when I was making it.

As long as we are talking pizza, here are three of my favorite home made pizzas.
My family requests these pizza’s over and over.

I will let you choose your favorite pizza dough for these.

===============================================

Pizzeria Uno’s Chicago Deep Dish Copycat Pizza

Makes a 12 inch deep dish pizza

PIZZA FILLING:

Bottom Layer: Cheese

1/2 pound sliced mozzarella cheese

Middle Layer: Toppings

1/2 pound Italian Sausage, hot or mild, crumbled
1/2 pound Pepperoni, sliced thin
1/2 Yellow Onion, cut into thin rings
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, cored and cut into thin rings
1/2 cup Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Black or Green Olives, thinly sliced

Top Layer: Sauce (makes 3 cups)

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Dried Basil, crushed
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano, crushed
1/4 teaspoon Anise Seeds or Fennel Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Table Salt, (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
1/8 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, (or to taste)
1 (28 oz) can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes, lightly squished (use “6 in 1 Brand - All Purpose Ground Tomatoes”, if you can find it)
1/2 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon White Granulated Sugar

1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese - to sprinkle on top
1/4 cup Olive Oil - to drizzle over top

In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the herbs, seeds, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and sugar, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely before using.

Assemble Pizza:
-Roll out or press dough into a 12-inch deep-dish pizza pan. Press dough evenly onto bottom and up inner sides of deep dish pizza pan.
-1st - Add a layer of sliced mozzarella as the bottom layer, on top of the dough. Place the cheese in tile-like layers covering the dough on the pan bottom.
-2nd - Add toppings, evenly distributed across pizza, as the middle layer.
-3rd - Finally add sauce, evenly, as the top layer. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
-Bake the deep-dish pizza in a preheated 425-degrees F oven until the top is golden and gooey and the crust is a light golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes.

BBQ Ham and Pineapple Pizza

Makes a 14 inch thin crust pizza

BBQ Pizza Sauce:

1 (26 oz) can Hunt’s Garlic & Herb Pasta Sauce
1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Hickory Flavor Liquid Smoke, Wright’s or Colgin brand
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt

Mix ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally,
for 20 minutes until the sauce is thickended.

Toppings:

1 lb Cooked Ham, sliced 1/8 inch thick and cut into 1 inch pieces.
10 oz canned pineapple chunks, drained, cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded

Assemble Pizza:

-Roll out or press dough into a 14-inch pizza pan. Press dough evenly onto bottom and up inner sides of the pizza pan.
-Spread BBQ pizza sauce evenly across bottom of pizza dough. Leave about an inch or two of dough around the edge un-coated.
-Distribute the sliced cooked ham pieces evenly across the pizza sauce.
-Distribute the drained pineapple chunks evenly across the ham and pizza sauce.
-Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the pizza.

Bake:
-Bake the deep-dish pizza in a preheated 425-degrees F oven until the top is melted and gooey and the edge crust is a light golden brown, about 25 to 35 minutes.

Chinese 5-spice Flavored Pizza

One of my family members challenged me to make a pizza with Chinese flavorings. This makes a saucy, crunchy pizza that has the flavor of a Chinese BBQ Pork Bun. It turned out really good and now I have to make it frequently for my family.

Makes one 14 inch pizza

Chinese 5-spice Flavored Pizza Sauce:

1 1/4 cups Hunts Garlic and Herb Pasta sauce
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce
1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
1 Tbsp Honey
1 1/2 tsp Oyster Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1 1/2 tsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1/2 tsp Hickory flavored liquid smoke

Combine ingredients and mix well. Spread on pizza.

Toppings:

2 cups Shredded Pulled Pork, drained of any liquid (you can also use shredded, cooked, chicken. I’ve used canned chicken in a pinch).
1 cup finely diced cabbage coleslaw mix
1/2 cup Water Chestnuts, Diced (from canned, drained)
1 cup French’s French Fried Onions (the ones used on a green bean casserole)
1 cup La Choy Chow Mein Noodles, slightly crushed
3/4 cup shredded Walmart Great Value Fiesta Blend cheese (Monterey jack, cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, asadero cheese)

• Press dough into pizza pan.
  • Coat pizza dough evenly with Chinese 5-spice Flavored Pizza Sauce. Leave about an inch or two of dough around the edge un-coated.
  • Add toppings evenly in the order listed.
  • Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes

Wow, I didn’t think earlier, that caviar can be done in such a great manner! I like it and your recipe was greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!