Plank Cooking

Does anyone have any recipes for plank cooking, either on a bbq or in the oven?

Thanx,

JoanieCooks

Here is one for Salmon from Kraft. I haven’t tried it yet, and if I fix it I will probably soak the plank in wine overnight, as well as use wine to baste it with. Chablis works well.

pelam5160

Salmon (Grilled Cedar-Planked)

Recipe Rating:
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 35 min
Makes: 8 servings

1 untreated cedar plank (14x7x1 inch)
1/2 cup KRAFT Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 Tsp. vegetable oil
1 salmon fillet (2 lb.), 1 inch thick, skin removed

IMMERSE the plank in water, placing a weight on top of the plank to keep it submerged. Soak at least 4 hours or overnight.
PREHEAT the grill to medium heat. Mix dressing, parsley and tomatoes; set aside.
BRUSH top of cedar plank with oil; top with salmon. Place on grill; cover grill with lid.
GRILL 10 minutes. Brush with dressing mixture; continue grilling 10 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with fork.

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
Cooking Know-How

UNTREATED cedar planks, which are sold for this purpose, can be found at most specialty food stores or some grocery stores. During cooking, check periodically to make sure that the plank is not on fire. Since the plank can ignite when exposed to flames, it is best to keep a spray bottle of water close at hand if needed to extinguish any flames.

Note
Salmon can also be grilled on a sheet of foil instead of the cedar plank.
NUTRITION INFORMATION
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories 170 Total fat 6g Saturated fat 1g Cholesterol 60 mg Sodium 280 mg Carbohydrate 3g Dietary fiber 0g Sugars 2g Protein 23g Vitamin A 6%DV Vitamin C 6%DV Calcium 2%DV Iron 6%DV

On tv a week or so here they had a man doing plank cooking. He has a cook book out all cooking on a plank.
The one that looked good to me is he had did a brie on it .I believe he soaked the plank for 1 hour and did the brie on a grill for 15 or 20. I can find the info on his book if you need.

WOW! Thanks y’all. This is a great start. Yes kellyburk, if you have the info on the book, that would be great if you could send it and kitchen witch, we do a lot of chicken, shrimp and steak, but I am open to anything. Also pelam5160, that wine soaked plank sounds good to me. I am going for salmon tomorrow.
Thanks again,

JoanieCooks

Our grocery store (Hannaford) sells the cedar planks during the summer for BBQ’S , not sure about the winter time. Here is a copy of the recipe they suggested with the plank.

Cedar Cilantro Salmon
INGREDIENTS:

cedar plank, pre-soaked in water 4 to 6 hoursolive oil3plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped1/4 cupgreen onion, finely chopped2 Tbsp.fresh squeezed lime2 tsp.sugar2 clovesgarlic, minced1/4 tsp.salt, divided1/2 tsp.Pepper4 (6 oz. each)salmon fillets red and yellow bell pepper slicesDIRECTIONS:
In a medium glass bowl stir together first 7 ingredients (1/8 teaspoon salt) until well combined. Keep chilled. Prepare grill to medium heat. Brush one side of plank with olive oil. Sprinkle pepper and remaining salt on fillets and place on oiled plank. Set plank on grill rack and cook for approximately 8 minutes each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork and is opaque (not shiny). Place each fillet on a plate on top of one cup tomato mixture and garnish with bell peppers as desired. Proper internal temperature for food safety should be 155 degrees Fahrenheit.

Servings: 4.

Tip: Planks are available at Hannaford for the barbecue season.