Polynesian Crockpot Spareribs

3-4 lbs pork spareribs
5 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 cup chicken broth

Place ribs in the bottom of your crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over ribs. Cover and and cook on low for 8 - 9 hours. If the ribs are fatty boil for 5 minutes before placing in crockpot.

To the Kitchen Witch,
This is my 1st correspondance at this website. I will be cooking in my slow cooker(s) for the 1st time so I have been copying alot of recipes for it. I noticed that most of the time there is no mention of what size of crockpot to use. Is there a rule of thumb? I really need to know!
Thanks,
Melaney, California

Welcome aboard Melaney!

Once you start using your crockpot I know that you will love it!

I have a 1-qt., two 3 1/2 qt., and a 6-qt.

It doesn’t matter which you use - of course - larger portions would go into the larger crockpot. Also I find that my 6-qt. seems to cook faster on HIGH than my others do, which is fine with me. I am not the type that turns on the crockpot and leaves the house so it doesn’t matter. The little guy I have is nice for warm dips, etc.

Turkeys/turkey breasts/ whole chickens/spareribs/large roasts definitely go into the 6-qt.

And don’t forget - many of the crockpot recipes that I posted are from the early days of crockpots when there was only 3 1/2-qt. size.

I hope this helps.

Kitchen Witch

Thank you for responding with such helpful info so speedily! One other question-“is it better to cook things on the low setting (thus “Slow Cooking”) vs. the high setting?” Also, I too have several slow cookers in different sizes that I have acquired from garage sales and am anxious to finally try them out. I also have recently purchased (new) a “Rival BBQ Pit Slow Cooker”. Any recipes for that would be greatly appreciated.
This is fun-Thanks!

Regarding HIGH or LOW will depend on your schedule. Place a roast beef in a crockpot on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours and it will turn out the same. Still tender, juicy and flavorful.

I like the LOW setting for keeping things warm during meals or gatherings. But it depends on my schedule - while painting rooms the LOW setting was fine - I had time to paint and clean up. Warming up leftovers such as meat and gravy for meals or for sandwiches - I like to use LOW for that too. I prefer my poultry cooked on HIGH in the crockpot. As with anything frozen meats take longer than fresh cuts.

With this summertime heat - HIGH gets it done faster and gets me out of the kitchen quicker. So it’s really up to you.

I will look for recipes for the BBQ Pit and pot them for you.

Kitchen Witch