POPEYE’S GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Home-style green beans with smoked ham, bacon, onions, peppers - cooked to perfection with a Cajun/Creole flair - an easy stove-top recipe with no French fried onion rings from the can.
- 1/2 lb. sliced bacon, cut in 1/2 inch strips
- 1/4 lb. smoked ham, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, rough chop approximately 3/4 inch cut
- 1 small bell pepper, rough chop
- 1/2 stalk celery, medium fine minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tsp seasoning salt Cajun/Creole type such as Chef Paul
- Prudhommes/Zatarains or Tony Chachere’s available at grocery stores
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 6 cans cut green beans, drained
Sauté bacon and ham in butter until bacon is just beginning to reduce size.
Add all vegetables cut in 1/4 inch dice to the bacon mixture sauté for 15 minutes on medium heat.
Add seasoning salt and minced garlic, stir well and cook for another 3 minutes.
Add the flour and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring constantly, add chicken stock and bring up to a simmer and cook for 5 - 8 minutes, do not boil, just a simmer.
Drain the green beans and add to the mixture cook for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy.