POPPY SEEDS

I BOUGHT A BAG OF POOPY SEEDS NOT REALLY KNOWING WHAT TO MAKE WITH THEM. I MADE A REFRIDGERATER COOKIE RECIPE WITH CREAM CHEESE BUT IT TASTED AWEFUL. I LOVE EATING BAGELS WITH POPPY SEEDS FOR THE LITTLE CRUNCH, BUT HATE PICKING THEM OUT OF MY TEETH. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH POPPY SEEDS

The way I use poppy seeds most often is in dressing.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
6 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. poppy seeds
Mix all ingredients well until blended and sugar is dissolved. Serve over any salad but is especially good over lettuce with mandarin oranges and sunflower seeds.

Another dressing recipe is:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. sesame seed
1Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. minced onions
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Mix togeter all ingredients apart from the oil. Shake until sugar is dissolved. Add oil and shake again. Refrigerate 1 hour or more.

Blueberry Poppy Seed Brunch Cake

Grease & flour pan
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream

Filling:
2 cups blueberries (or strawberries), thawed and drained
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Glaze:
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk

Prehead oven to 350F. Grease and flour 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
Beat 2/3 cup sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add lemon peel and egg. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.

In medium bowl, combine flour, poppy seeds, baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread batter over bottom and one inch up sides of pan; batter on sides should be 1/4 inch thick.

In medium bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spoon over batter. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until crust is brown. Cool slightly and remove from pan.

Combine sugar and enough milk to make glaze of drizzling consistency.
Drizzle over top of warm cake.

Poppy Seed, Honey, Mustard Salad Dressing

1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Poppy Seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Combine all in a jar and shake well to combine. Refrigerate until needed.

Particularly good with a salad of spinach, sliced almonds, strawberries, and Fuji apples sliced thinly.

My mom used to make this when I was a kid. I plan on making it for Fourth of July.

Ingredients

* 3 C. flour
* 1/2 C. ground almonds
* 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/2 C. sugar
* 1 C. butter
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp. lemon juice
* 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
* 2 Tbs. water
* Poppy Seed Filling
* 1 C. poppy seed
* 1/2 C. milk
* 1/4 C. honey
* 1/3 C. chopped dates
* 1/3 C. chopped nuts
* 1 dash cinnamon

Directions

Mix the first five ingredients and the lemon peel; cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Combine the egg, lemon juice and water to add to the flour mixture. Knead lightly into a ball; divide into 8 parts. Roll out each part on a floured board until it is 1/4 inch thick, then cut into 4 inch square. Spoon about 1 tsp. Poppy Seed Filling into the center of each square. Bring two ends together to form a cylinder. Pinch together to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with milk. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Filling: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan; cook over low heat until thick, stirring often. Cool and it’s ready to use.

Note: Any cooked fruit or jam may be used instead of Poppy Seed Filling.

I love Bob Evans Poppy Seed Dressing. Would anyone have a copy of it I could try?

KW, this is a bit off topic. I’m looking for a sesame seed salad dressing. Would any of these recipes work by varying poppy seeds with sesame seeds? If not do you have a sesame seed recipe for salads among your collection? I know I’m thanked in advance! :smiley:

Thanks, KW! I’ve been in Newfoundland and sampled their “Newfoundland Screech”. It’s about 95% alcohol (rum) and almost burns the lining of your stomach! Come up, if you want to sample it! :smiley:

Can I be the immature one and point out the typo? :cool:

Nice post,Thank you for sharing useful information,it is very helpful for me.

First time I am listening to these poppy seeds.I am not knowing what are these called in my country India.

Khus khus is Indian name for poppy seeds.