Proper Cookies....

Please can anyone help me - I have been baking cookies now for months on end trying to find a really good proper cookie recipe. All the ones I have found have not been of any success. They end up like cakes, or a melted mass of bubbling butter on a baking tray. I’m a good cook - and so I know I’m reading the recipe correctly and doing everything right. So it must be the recipes I am using. I am based in England, however I have no problem converting measurements - so any recipes will help. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. I am after a proper American cookie as I would call it, crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle and big that kind of thing - Like the ones you get in Starbucks cafe or in Tesco’s if anyone knows what I am on about please help me. Many thanks

Starbuck’s Italian Date Thumbprints
Posted by FootsieBear at recipegoldmine.com 7/17/01 9:35:05 am

Source: wfaa.com - Melody Brown demonstrated the recipe which aired on Wednesday, December 16, 1998

These versatile, soft, buttery cookies are as fun to make as they are to eat. They can also be made in a chocolate version by substituting 2 tablespoons of cocoa for the flour. For a dressier presentation, add 1 teaspoon of Turkish (finely) ground coffee, form into balls, roll into confectioners’ sugar following baking for miniature Italian wedding cakes.

Yields approximately 36 cookies

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons potato flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup hot double-strength Starbucks Christmas
Blend or other dark roast coffee
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease.

Sift together flour, potato flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Soak the dates in the hot coffee for at least 30 minutes. Drain coffee but reserve 1 teaspoon of the liquid.

Cream butter and sugar in a mixture bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg, milk, reserved coffee and vanilla and mix until blended.

Add soaked dates into the flour mixture and toss just to coat lightly. Add flour into the creamed mixture and mix until smooth.

Form approximately 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball by rolling between palms. Make an indentation in the center of each ball and place on prepared baking sheet at least 3" apart. Fill each indentation with 1/2 teaspoon of orange marmalade.

Bake cookies in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool thoroughly on racks before serving.

this is not cookies but figured i would post it for you any how . :smiley:

Starbuck’s Chocolate Fudge Squares with Mocha Glaze
Posted by Mary Ellen at recipegoldmine.com 11/27/2001 9:42 am

Source: Starbucks

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room
temperature (1 stick; see note)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Glaze
1 generous cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup brewed double-strength coffee, preferably
made from dark-roasted beans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.

To make fudge squares: In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and egg.

In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture. Then add the melted chocolate, being careful not to over-beat. Add the milk, vanilla and walnuts, stirring just to blend.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and the top springs back when pressed lightly, about 30 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely. Meanwhile, make glaze.

To make glaze: In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir in the coffee and whisk until smooth.

Refrigerate the glaze until cool, then pour over the top of the cake and cut the cake into squares.

NOTE: Use real butter or stick margarine. Do not substitute reduced-fat spreads; their higher water content often yields less-satisfactory results.

1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Glaze

To make fudge squares: In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and egg.

In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture. Then add the melted chocolate, being careful not to over-beat. Add the milk, vanilla and walnuts, stirring just to blend.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and the top springs back when pressed lightly, about 30 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely. Meanwhile, make glaze.

To make glaze: In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir in the coffee and whisk until smooth.

Refrigerate the glaze until cool, then pour over the top of the cake and cut the cake into squares.

NOTE: Use real butter or stick margarine. Do not substitute reduced-fat spreads; their higher water content often yields less-satisfactory results.

1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Glaze

Molasses Crisps

3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
1 large eggs
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour

In a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then beat the egg. Cream until the mixture is light and lemon-colored. Add the molasses and mix until combined. Scrape down the side of the bowl.

In a separate bowl, stir together the salt, ginger, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add this to the butter mixture and mix until combined. A third at a time, add the flour to the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease two baking sheets. Roll the dough into balls 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter (depending on what size you like them) and arrange them in well-spaced rows on the cookie sheets. Bake about 10-12 minutes, just until crisp. The cookies will be thin and flat. Let cool on the baking sheet 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks. When cool, store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozens

Oatmeal Cookies

1 c. flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ c. white sugar
¾ c. brown sugar
1/3 c. shortening or butter
1 egg
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg

Cream together sugar and shortening. Add egg, vanilla, water and spices. Then add (by hand) dry ingredients.

Bake 325 F for 13-15 minutes in center of oven. Let cool 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet. Cook longer for crispier cookies.

Soft Molasses Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup light molasses
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold water
raisins for garnish

Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets. In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat all ingredients except raisins until well mixed.

Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls, at least 2 inches apart, onto cookie sheets; place 4 or 5 raisins on top of each cookie (optional).

Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed with finger. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool.

Hi maxmax, thanks for visiting and leaving the nice comment re my Hash recipe. I will try and reciprocate in kind by helping with your problem with the cookies. I hope this will be what you’re looking for, and it is a recipe you can improvise and fool around with to suit your taste.

[ul]
Darn Good Cookies
3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup soft butter or margerine
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

*can either add or not, any of the following;
1 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
8 oz white or semi-sweet chocolate chopped
(even raisins if you so desire, about 1/4 cup)

Firstly, preheat oven at 375.
Cream brown sugar, sugar, margerine, shortening in lge bowl.
Add egg and vanilla.
Rather than pour flour into measuring cup, lightly add it spoon at a time
into cup, then…
stir in the flour, baking soda and salt into mixture in lge bowl.
*if you are adding the nuts and/or chocolate, then stir them in as well.
Mix well.
Using a tbsp, scoop a hardy dollop of the mixture from the lge bowl,
and drop onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 - 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Cool for a minute or two before removing from cookie sheet.
Good for about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen yummies.

If after all this it’s still not what you’re looking for, let me know I have a couple other good recipes you can try.
Boy, at some point you are going to be all cookied out … either that or you’re going to have the happiest neighbourhood in town.

Enjoy.

[/ul]

Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

B-man :smiley:

Hey b-man!

Those chocolate chip cookies that you’re talking about ARE really good. I’ve made them before and my family loved them. :smiley: Something about that pudding!

Glad you like them. My kids are real cookie hounds! Me too !

B-man :smiley:

You know why her cookies are so good. You noticed that she has vanilla pudding mix in them. Pudding mix is made with cornstarch. When I make cookies, and it says 4 cups flour, I use 2 cups flour and 2 cups cornstarch. When you use flour and cornstarch, the cookies are soft when cooled. :slight_smile: