Pupusas Revueltas with Chicken
Ground chicken and low fat cheese help reduce fat and calories.
1 pound ground chicken breast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium green pepper, seeded and minced
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups instant corn flour (masa harina)
6 cups water
- In a nonstick skillet over low heat, sauteÂ´? chicken in oil until chicken turns white. Constantly stir the chicken to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook until chicken mixture is cooked through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in the refrigerator.
- While the chicken mixture is cooling, place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make a stiff tortilla-like dough.
- When the chicken mixture has cooled, mix in the cheese.
- Divide the dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll the dough into balls and flatten each ball into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Put a spoonful of the chicken mixture in the middle of each circle of dough and bring the edges to the center. Flatten the ball of dough again until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- In a very hot, iron skillet, cook the pupusas on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Curtido salvadoreÃ±o
Yield: 12 servings–Serving size: 2 pupusas
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Sodium: 211 mg
Calcium: 149 mg
Iron: 2 mg