The French version of the Madagascan cocktail, The 44 Cordial, the Quarante Quatre is clove and orange infused rum that has “brewed” for no less than 44 days.
1 Navel orange
1 liter white rum
44 teaspoons Sugar (optional)
- Take a Navel orange and deeply pierce it with a paring knife 44 times.
- Stuff 44 cloves into the slits.
- Place the orange in a large widemouthed jar (that has a tight seal)
- Add one liter of white rum.
- Add 44 teaspoons of sugar.
- Seal and store in a cool dark place for 44 days.