Question about rice noodles

Hi, :stuck_out_tongue:

I went to Vietnam last year and I enjoyed their noodle soup like pho bo so much and I tried to cook that recipe at home and I use dried rice noodles but the problem is that fresh rice noodle taste so much better. Does anyone here know where I could get a recipe on how to make fresh rice noodles and where can I buy inexpensive machine to cut noodles.

Many Asian Markets carry fresh rice noodles, but if you want to try your hand at making them yourself you can try this recipe.

Fresh Rice Noodles

Makes 1 Lb.

1 1/4 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1 1/4 cups water

Vegetable oil

1. Soak the rice overnight in the water. After soaking, grind the rice and water for 5 or 10 minutes in a blender to form a very smooth thin batter, (A food processor won’t work for this.) When done grinding, you should be able to feel no more than the slightest hint of solid particles if you rub the batter between your fingers. Better too smooth than not smooth enough!

2. Lightly coat an 8" x 8" x 2" baking pan with oil and heat it for about 3 minutes in a steamer. Pour in 1/2 cup batter in an even layer and replace the steamer lid. Steam for 5 minutes. From this point on, check to make sure there’s water in the steamer. Add boiling water as necessary if it’s low.

3. After 5 minutes, coat the top of the first layer lightly but thoroughly with vegetable oil and pour 1/2 cup of batter in an even layer on top of it. Again, steam for 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. After adding the last layer, steam for 8 minutes. When sliced, the layers will separate into thin noodles.

4. Use immediately in any recipe calling for fresh rice noodles or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store in the 'fridge for up to 2 days. They can be frozen for up to 6 months, but will be grainy when thawed.

So to cook the rice noodles I have to steam it and not boil it. After when it is cook, the noodles has the appearance of flat sheet and all I do is cut them or use a machine to make them look more professional. I am planning to open a Vietnamese noodle house and where I live they do not sell fresh rice noodles. Thank you IvdKeyes and Kitchen Witch for this recipe. I have been searching it on the internet on how to make rice noodles but I could not find any. You are both a great help. Thanks a million.

You are welcome. You steam them to make the noodles, but when you cook them you use them as your recipe says. After you do the layering and steaming you slice them as thin or as wide as you want them. Just use a knife; they don’t have to look professional. The homemade look is better.