1 teaspoon butter
10 oz. raisins
2 oz. chopped candied peel
6 oz. chopped almonds
4 oz. sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 oz. flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground mace
- Preheat the oven to cool 300°F / 150°C.
- Using half the butter, grease a 6 inch cake tin and line it with greaseproof or waxed paper greased with the remaining butter. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the raisins, peel, almonds and sugar. Stir in the lemon juice and beaten eggs, beating well with a wooden spoon until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and mace into the bowl and fold the flour mixture in with a metal spoon. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and place the tin in the oven. Bake for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the tin from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Turn the cake out on to a wire rack. Remove and discard the paper. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.