Recipe Wanted

Looking for a Recipe - either Hungarian or Polish - it’s a dessert roll - has some type of butter cream inside - my step mother used to make it at Xmas time and she would color the butter cream red and green - anyone have any ideas for this? Working on my International Cookbook right now - would love to add this in.

I have questions - was the dessert roll made from a genoise or sponge recipe? And when you mention butter cream - I think of frosting. Was it a frosting type filling or a creamy filling?

And is the filling put in before or after the baking?

I think it was put in after - or it would melt? It was like a butter cream type filling - was so good. Wish she was still with us - would ask her what it was - I remember it being a light colored dough not sure what it was but would have be springy in order to roll it and it was so pretty with the green and red cream inside. She did it like a pinwheel - it’s so hard to explain. It was a creamy type filling. Not sure if I am helping here at all. LOL - I do remember though the cream had butter in it though.

check out this link and see if this is the dessert roll, called Marzipan Rollada… hope so.

Desserts - Marzipan Rollada

I’ve got to dig out the book that the recipe is in - I know I’ve got it.

I know it is close to the marzipan - but know it didn’t have any fruit in the filling like the marzipan does.

Cake:

Sift together:
1 2/3 c. cake flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder

Beat 4 egg whites; set aside.

Beat 4 egg yolks until lemon colored; gradually add 1 1/2 c. sugar beating on high.

Reduce speed to medium and add 2 t. cold water, 1/2 c. hot water and 1 t. vanilla.

Fold in dry ingredients; lastly fold in beaten whites.

Line jelly roll pan with waxed paper; butter waxed paper; pour in batter.

Bake 325* 15 minutes till done. Do not overbake.

Remove from oven; loosen cake; turn out onto clean cloth; remove bottom waxed paper and roll with the towel in it sidewise not lengthwise - jelly roll style. Cool.

Unroll; remove towel; fill and re-roll. Dust with confectioners’ sugar or frost as desired.

Filling #1:

1 c. butter or margarine
1 c. shortening
1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
Almond or vanilla extract

Butter and shortening should be at room temp. Beat until smooth and fluffy; gradually beat in sugar and flavoring; tint if desired.

Filling #2:

3/4 c. sugar
14 c. water
18 t. cream of tartar
5 egg yolks, beaten
1 c. unsalted butter
Flavoring

In saucepan, combine sugar, water and cream of tartar. Bring to boil; boil rapidly until syrup spins a light thread (238*).

Beat syrup gradually into egg yolks and continue to beat until cream is thick and cool.

Beat in butter, bit by bit.

Add flavoring - vanilla, almond, rum, brandy, kirsch, or any desired liqueur.

I hope this is close!

It sounds pretty close - I’ll give it a try maybe toward the end of the week and see how it turns out!

I’ve got several more - let me know -

Hi, was curious what the name for this recipe…Thank you Sounds good

twowild - there is no name - it was taken from an old handwritten page and none of the recipes go together - I was trying to help crissybird with what she was looking for - unfortunately - no names other than cake, filling #1 and #2 - looking at the recipes - it looks like a sponge cake and 2 filling/frosting recipes

Thank you Kitchen Witch for the info…have a good evening.

you’re very welcomed - sorry it’s a “no-name” (I have a lot of those!) - and have a great evening as well!

two of my good friends are chefs and from Poland and we celebrate Wigilia ( spelling?) every christmas eve, when I see them next I will ask them, especially since one is a pastry chef and she does the cakes every holiday. I know we have a poppy seed cake served every christmas eve, loaded with tons of poppy seeds, not my favorite but everyone else adores it.