Recipes for one or two?????

Hello everyone… I am new to this, so hope I am doing this right… Being a fairly new widow, I am having terrible time learning how to cook or what to cook for just me!!! I always end up with too much and I already have freezer full of leftover… I could use some great new recipes and help and hugs… thanks… Janice

Janice1942, I know exactly what you mean. I have been single all my life. Grocery stores and cook books do not cater to single people. I have learned to adapt many recipes into a serves one or two.

I also have a cookbook titled, Cooking for One Is Fun, by Henry Lewis Creel. He was a friend to Craig Claiborne and Pierre Franey and often dined with them. Then he would go home and play around until he hit upon a recipe good enough for one person.

The book is out of print now, but can often be found on Amazon.

I use a lot of his recipes as well as adapting many of them to my tastes.

One of myy favorites is Pork Chop and Baked Beans

Basically you just empty a can of baked beans into a cassrole, spread Dijon mustard over the top of a thick bone in pork chop, add it to the casserole, add a slice of onion and a slice of lemon to the top of the chop. Sprinkle all with pepper. Then bake it covered at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Then bake an additional 10 minutes with the lid off.

PERSONAL NOTE: I sometimes have to cook less than theh full recommended time as the long cooking time sometimes make the pork too dry. I judge by thickness of the chop and the particular oven I am using. I serve with a basic salad.

Easy and delicious.

Hope this helps.